Lake District

Associate
Afternoon,

Heading to the Lake District tomorrow for a week or so and was wondering if people had any stand out things to do / places to see / places to eat at that they would recommend? Anything a bit unusual would be even better as would surprise my better half....! Will be staying around the south lakes so things based nearer there are preferable but will have the car so happy to go further afield!

Thanks!

Soldato
Definitely, definitely, definitely go to Honister slate mine at Honister pass. Aside the views climbing up Skiddaw, it was the best part of my week long holiday there last year. Very interesting, and a very scary bus ride upto the mines. Fantastic views there too.

You're missing out if you don't go there IMO.

http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/

If you've got the balls, try the Via Ferrata tour.

Last edited:
Soldato
Drunken duck has nice beer, never eaten there though, looks posh now.

In the middle of ambleside there is an Italian place called zeffirellis, quite posh but no strict dress code (it is the lakes after all). Quite nice and vegetarian - not that you'd notice given the choice.

Soldato
Definitely, definitely, definitely go to Honister slate mine at Honister pass. Aside the views climbing up Skiddaw, it was the best part of my week long holiday there last year. Very interesting, and a very scary bus ride upto the mines. Fantastic views there too.

You're missing out if you don't go there IMO.

http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/

If you've got the balls, try the Via Ferrata tour.

+1

The road leading up to the mines is awesome. Make sure the brakes on your car are good. :)

Soldato
Drive to Glenridding and have a trip on the old steamer to Howtown then if you're not fussed about money have a walk to the Sharrow Bay for dinner http://www.sharrowbay.co.uk/fine_dining.asp?Page=the_restaurant, it has a Michelin star and is meant to be very nice, probably need to book it first though

Keswick is nice too and theres plenty of things to do, there's the Cars of the Stars museum , boating on the lake, Castlerigg stone circle , mountain biking, etc
Then there's all the fell walking if you're into it, Skiddaw is right next to Keswick and Blencathra (Saddleback) isn't far away , Seathwaite farm is only a few miles away and from here you can climb Scafell Pike. If you want an easy one you could get a boat over the lake and do Catbells.

Of course there is always Windermere which is nice but I have rarely been there so I'm not sure what's there.

I'll be off the Glenridding tomorrow to climb Helvellyn if it's not going to be too wet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did Skiddaw two weeks ago. Haystacks is a good walk/climb too. Get yourself a map, and maybe one of the Lakes Magazine (thick monthly booklet, long looking thing) which has lots of walks, drives, coupons etc.

I've been told Wasdale Head is a great view and that I need to go to Go Ape on the Whinlatter Pass.

Capodecina
Soldato
In the middle of ambleside there is an Italian place called zeffirellis, quite posh but no strict dress code (it is the lakes after all). Quite nice and vegetarian - not that you'd notice given the choice.
I'll second that, it's a fantastic place to eat - http://zeffirellis.com/. They have Jazz on Friday and Saturday nights and used to do a combined deal to watch a film and have a meal, I don't think they do it anymore but it was the perfect way to end a day's walking :)

beh

beh

Associate
Rowing on Derwentwater is one of my favourite things to do in the Lakes, much nicer scenery than Windermere imo.

If you're not particularly into fellwalking but want a good view, Latrigg in front of Skiddaw is almost no effort from the car park at the end of Gale Road.

Associate
Some great views and walks around Wastwater :)

wastwater050403.jpg

Back
Top Bottom