1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Land Registry Documents

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by android-fan, 18 Jun 2021.

1. android-fan

Gangster

Recently completed payments on a re-mortgage and the property has reverted back into my name. I handed this process directly with the land registry without using a solicitor. I now have in my possession all the original deeds to the property (it's about 100 years old), including lease documents etc.

Are these required now or is everything digital and there is no need to keep them in a safe place or at all?

Thanks!

2. ristac

Hitman

I kept mine but they were not needed for a sale in March of this year, the buyers solicitor accessed everything online.

3. SeatIbiza

Wise Guy

The majority of those (likely none) won't be digitally held with the Land Registry. I would keep them.

If you trust me your title number I can tell you what is held by them. Might be a couple of old transfers, or similar.

4. android-fan

Gangster

Thanks, sent you a message.

5. Pho

Sgarrista

Regardless I'd take scans / photos of them and store them in Dropbox or someone just in case. It's what I did.

If you don't have a scanner most of the Dropbox/Onedrive/Google Drive apps have a nice built-in scanning option that straightens and cleans up the image.

6. HangTime

Man of Honour

I didn't get a choice, when my mortgage was paid off I enquired with the lender about what would happen with the deeds i.e. returned to me and they said they had been destroyed :/ I was shocked as I didn't understand how they could do this without my authorisation.

7. Noakesy85

Hitman

We still hold the deeds to our house, they're locked away in a safe :)

8. android-fan

Gangster

I think I'll scan as suggested and then file away (albeit not in a safe :) )

9. Dano

Sgarrista

Mine were posted to me a couple of years ago before I'd paid off my mortgage as the lender didn't need the physical copies any more due to them being digitised.

10. LeeUK

Soldato

Is there a way for the public (property owner) to find out what documents are held? I don't mind paying if there is. I already know about the £3 title register.

I inherited my property. Mortgage was paid off shortly before but no docs ever came from the old mortgage company (Woolwich/Barclays).

11. SeatIbiza

Wise Guy

Do you know what, I'm not sure. I believe so but I only ever use the pro system...everything is basically £3...copy lease, conveyances, plan, register etc.

12. xb8browney

Soldato

We did have an issue 2 years ago when we sold an inherited property, basically the title was missing from the deed and it took a year to find the original deeds.

Turned out NRAM had them, had to pay £1 for them.

13. fastwunz

Mobster