Landscaping - Swimming pool removal?

Soldato
OP
Right, time to think about hardcore (nice) and concrete in preparation for full patio!

I've heard that using fibre infused concrete is perfectly strong enough for this purpose, and works out far cheaper than using regular concrete and with rebar - yes it's a more expensive mix but far less man hours required (even if they're my own) in laying and tying rebar framework and mesh.

Can anyone clarify whether fibre infused concrete without any rebar would be fit for purpose?

Soldato
Soldato
OP
What do you need concrete for when laying a patio?

I was under the impression a 4 inch layer of hardcore followed by a 4 inch layer of concrete is the ideal bed for a porcelain patio, as advised by the guys who performed the pool renovation. It's porcelain slabs to be laid, does that make the difference, or the fact it's around a pool? I really don't know the "why?"!

How does it output more power than you put in?

Witchcraft and wizardry. In layman's terms it's been explained to me that they transfer heat rather than generate it, which is how they're so efficient - they're basically reverse fridges.

Associate
Yes porcelain has to be laid on concrete. Fibre Reinforcing is normally used to add strength to the concrete itself but it wont prevent your substrate (MOT / Hardcore / Crusher-run) moving or settling, its important that this is well consolidated (whackered) before the concrete is poured. Fibre is often added to shot-crete / spray-crete to improve its overall strength. Yes it can replace rebar to offer similar strength concrete BUT it is important that the fibres are added slowly to the concrete mix to ensure good distribution of the fibre and to prevent clumping. Its much quicker to lay but cost-wise it costs similar to re-bar.

Soldato
How does it output more power than you put in?

A heat pump doesn’t create heat, it moves it from one place to another. Air conditioning and fridges are all heat pump systems.

Strictly speaking it’s a coefficient of performance and not ‘efficiency’ as it’s not generating heat, the heat already exists in the air/ground/water (what ever you are using as the source).

For every one unit of energy in, the system can move typically 2-4 units of energy in the form of heat. In the case of the op, it’s taking the heat from the air and putting into the water.

There is heat energy all around us, even when it is very cold. A heat pump captures that heat, compresses it to increase its temperature and then releases it into what ever you want to heat up.

A fridge or air conditioning is that process working in reverse, moving heat out instead of in.

Soldato
OP
Suppose I should post an update really.... so much for this being titled "swimming pool removal"!!

IMG-20220517-WA0001.jpg

So since last update we've had hardcore laid and consolidated, outer walls chased and trunking with lighting cable placed throughout, concrete laid, walls scratch coated and ready for finishing render.

Should get our first swim in this coming weekend!

Soldato
Suppose I should post an update really.... so much for this being titled "swimming pool removal"!!

IMG-20220517-WA0001.jpg

So since last update we've had hardcore laid and consolidated, outer walls chased and trunking with lighting cable placed throughout, concrete laid, walls scratch coated and ready for finishing render.

Should get our first swim in this coming weekend!
Wow what a difference it's a huge space with a pool in it now!

Soldato
A heat pump doesn’t create heat, it moves it from one place to another. Air conditioning and fridges are all heat pump systems.

Strictly speaking it’s a coefficient of performance and not ‘efficiency’ as it’s not generating heat, the heat already exists in the air/ground/water (what ever you are using as the source).

For every one unit of energy in, the system can move typically 2-4 units of energy in the form of heat. In the case of the op, it’s taking the heat from the air and putting into the water.

There is heat energy all around us, even when it is very cold. A heat pump captures that heat, compresses it to increase its temperature and then releases it into what ever you want to heat up.

A fridge or air conditioning is that process working in reverse, moving heat out instead of in.
I still don't get it...

Witchcraft and wizardry.
...now I do!

Soldato
OP
15ft x 30ft is a little bigger than a plunge pool, and should be able to accommodate all the OcUK bikini wearers no problem :p

Here's a few more pics of the process of how we got to that stage;

C3NkA1p.jpg

fxKPq9d.jpg

Boundary fence posts/wall

RUscnnu.jpg

Hardcore going in

zWuJpEJ.jpg

Walls chased

RARdf74.jpg

Shuttering in

Tz1dHHk.jpg

xWpa0i0.jpg

Concrete going in

aV6681B.jpg

Walls getting scratch coated

Soldato
OP
We finally held a pool party!

Since last update the walls have been rendered, painted and fence panels have been installed. Our party shed was moved up to the concrete pad (temporarily, until all the porcelains are laid) and an awesome time was had by all - all of the effort finally felt worthwhile and we're chuffed to bits with how it's turned out so far :)

faTN8cn.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom