Lapierre Zesty 314 - Opinions? Anyone got one?

Soldato
I'm off to look at a really nice used example tomorrow, the 2012 model. Been looking for a first full sus bike for a while now that I'm getting back into mountain biking after a long lay off. I've only ever had hardtails before. The Zesty 314 from that year seems to have been a very accomplished bike, though there isn't much info/reviews online about them that I can see. This one is certainly well spec'd and sounds like its been looked after, for a bike that is a good few years old.

Has anyone got one/had one or got any info, thoughts on them?

Cheers.

Soldato
I'm off to look at a really nice used example tomorrow, the 2012 model. Been looking for a first full sus bike for a while now that I'm getting back into mountain biking after a long lay off. I've only ever had hardtails before. The Zesty 314 from that year seems to have been a very accomplished bike, though there isn't much info/reviews online about them that I can see. This one is certainly well spec'd and sounds like its been looked after, for a bike that is a good few years old.

Has anyone got one/had one or got any info, thoughts on them?

Cheers.
Not had one but looks like a quality £2k+ machine when it came out, depends what kind of life its had really? So damn good frame & fork check for sure. I've got Mavic Crossrides on my MTB and they have been great now for over 5 years. Lapierre are good quality bikes, and a bit like Ghost get overlooked.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the exact same model as the one you are going to view (if it's the black and gold one). It's an excellent bike and I've enjoyed my time with it. The only bad points I can think of are the original bearings in the rear suspension were el cheapo ones but if the bike has been well looked after they have probably been changed. I replaced mine with enduro max fill. The cable routing for the back brake where it goes through the frame between the seat tube and along the rear triangle causes massive cable rub. Luckily I noticed it after it had only gone through the paint, but if it had gone unnoticed it would have eventually eaten into the frame. I use a small strip of plastic card between the cable and the frame (which I replace every few months) and it's been fine since.

Apart from that its a brilliant bike, climbs well pedals well and descends well.

Soldato
OP
I've got the exact same model as the one you are going to view (if it's the black and gold one). It's an excellent bike and I've enjoyed my time with it. The only bad points I can think of are the original bearings in the rear suspension were el cheapo ones but if the bike has been well looked after they have probably been changed. I replaced mine with enduro max fill. The cable routing for the back brake where it goes through the frame between the seat tube and along the rear triangle causes massive cable rub. Luckily I noticed it after it had only gone through the paint, but if it had gone unnoticed it would have eventually eaten into the frame. I use a small strip of plastic card between the cable and the frame (which I replace every few months) and it's been fine since.

Apart from that its a brilliant bike, climbs well pedals well and descends well.
Cheers for the info, I ended up buying the one I went to look at. It's black/yellow/gold/white. Very pleased with it so far although I've not had it out on any decent trails yet, hopefully this weekend. I've just had a Brand X Ascend 2 dropper post delivered so will get that fitted in the next day or two. This example was owned by a bike mechanic and has been well cared for so its had suspension, linkage and bottom bracket bearings all replaced recently which is nice. Cheers for the heads-up on the cable rub thing, will check that.

Looking forward to hitting the trails with it, I've set the sag front and rear so should be good to go with tweaking the rebound when I get out on it :)

stand1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yep, apart from the grips that's almost a carbon copy of mine. I've even got the same dropper you bought. Looks mint, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun on it.
Cheers, yes - it's in tip top condition apart from a few tiny marks here and there on the paint and the front forks. Guy I bought it from hasn't used it much at all since he bought it - he had a load of other bikes in his garage workshop when I went to buy it. It's had wider Cannondale bars fitted to it so that probably explains the grips.

Question for you if I may - does yours have the rear carbon derailleur protector fitted like in the photo below? I got hold of one but I'm not sure what size bolts/screws I need to fit the thing to the rear mounting point where the holes in the frame are?

zestycarbon5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom