Lapped Heatsink temp results

Soldato
Having practiced on a couple of old Skt A H/S i decided to give it a go on my Gigabyte G-Power Pro which is far from smooth, it took about an hour but i ended up with a nice smooth finish with a slight sheen to it. After replacing the H/S and running prime for an hour and giving COD2 a 30 min bashing it dropped 2-3 degrees C after an initial drop of 4 degrees C (the central heating is on now so thats probably why).
Might try it next on my 7800 GTX cooler.

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
I've never had the need to lap my hs's. Always nice and smooth and not shiney :D.

:edit: nice temp results btw
Ive just checked 6 varius CPU H/S's and 3 GPU H/S, all good makes and none could be described as being smooth. When i say smooth i mean looking across the face with a light above and seeing no ripples, scratches or dimples.
Well its now at 35C whilst im browsing the web (in a warm house)which is 1 degree C cooler than it drops too during the day when the house is cold.
Im happy with that

Associate
can i pose a question that has puzzled me
people try to "lap a heatsink" by hand this produces a shiny surface , but is it flat?
is the mating suface of the cpu flat?

if the surface of both have microsopic imperfections ,the the total surface area for heat conduction would be greater than a flat plane
if these ripples ( micro scopic ) are filled with thermal compound then the surface for heat transfer would be greater

thinking about laping a surface unless you use an optical comparitor ( which can read imperfection less than the wavelenght of light ) you cannot be sure its flat , but do you want it that flat

for example two pieces of steel made flat they when slid together will stick ( wrung together )

so after all that do we need these shiney surfaces or will a dull surface conduct heat better

Soldato
OP
lordedmond said:
people try to "lap a heatsink" by hand this produces a shiny surface , but is it flat?

if the surface of both have microsopic imperfections ,the the total surface area for heat conduction would be greater than a flat plane
if these ripples ( micro scopic ) are filled with thermal compound then the surface for heat transfer would be greater

thinking about laping a surface unless you use an optical comparitor ( which can read imperfection less than the wavelenght of light ) you cannot be sure its flat , but do you want it that flat

for example two pieces of steel made flat they when slid together will stick ( wrung together )

so after all that do we need these shiney surfaces or will a dull surface conduct heat better
Well professor, the ripples and imperfections i saw didnt need scientific instraments to bring them to my attention. In an ideal world the CPU/heatspreader and HS would be perfectly flat thus needing no thermal compound but as with most things in life this is not the case, i believe that the less thermal compound used, the greater the heat transfer between CPU and HS. I have carried out a scientific experiment and found that my temps are as described above, whether or not you like it, they are the results.

Soldato
I know exactly where you're coming from lordedmond, if a surface was "rough" in the engineering sense then you could justifiably say that there is a larger area for contact and heat transfer. I think in reality unless the peaks of one surface line up with the troughs of the other and perfectly mate at a atomic/molecular/crystalline (whatever scale the roughness level is at) there is likely to be peak to peak contact between the surfaces. That would cause voids that need to be filled with TIM which is a less ideal than direct surface to surface contact. Fair point though :)
I can agree with the flatness, i doubt hand lapping that people do at home is that good compared to controlled machine lapping but to be honest the flatness is usually good enough and like here shows good results. Those of you at uni could try going to the engineering department and asking if you can use the polishing machines used for preparing metal samples for use in a SEM (scanning electron microscope), whether you'd get better temps i don't know as it could follow the law of diminishing returns and you may get bugger all for all your extra effort.

Soldato
OP
Mekrel said:
Nice one mate,

I have an AMD Opteron which takes 1.55v to run at 3.0ghz and the Big Typhoon I purchased for it is far from smooth.

What did you use? Im thinking of buying a lapping kit I saw online here http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/pcviper/ultrakit.htm
I read a few guides on the net and then went to halfords and bought the Wet and Dry paper, its not hard but took around an hour.

Soldato
OP
after about 20 hours its working 2-3 degrees cooler at idle (34C reported by speedfan/asus probe) but i do have very good case cooling,it was previously idling at 36-37 degrees.

Soldato
lordedmond said:

your theory would work IF the thermal compound had a 100% heat conduction and transfer rate as the heatsinks surface. since the thermal compound is never going to be as good as a direct heatsink to core contact with no "middleman" thats why its best to have as little pits as possible on the heatsink and the core...

Back
Top Bottom