Laptop bottom cover modification

Soldato
Ok, so I'm a little bored and have a spare bottom cover for my laptop.
Currently when running games on full load/ultra settings my gpu hits around mid 70deg and CPU around low to mid 80deg which is fine really for a gaming laptop.
I'm tempted to modify my spare bottom cover to see if I can drop the temps further but I'm unsure what I could use to protect the fans.
I guess, I should try with the cover off to see if there is any difference first before going too in depth.

Anyway, Someone elsewhere suggested a hole saw where the fans sit and use tweeter speaker covers to glue into the holes.
I wouldn't mind something that would provide a detachable filter.
Thoughts?

Soldato
Either cutting a large hole then covering with fine mesh or the approach I think I would go far, lots of small (but uniform) holes.

Making holes is one thing though, whether that will help is another, making holes assumes that there is an airflow that can be increased.

Caporegime
Making holes is one thing though, whether that will help is another, making holes assumes that there is an airflow that can be increased.

Or makes things worse. Blower style fans as found in low profile servers and laptops tend to rely on specific airflow to get the most efficient cooling performance. Disturbing the airflow with additional holes *could* make this worse not better.

Soldato
You’d be much better off getting one of the gaming laptop cooler pads.

As paradigm has already posted, the designers of you laptop probably spent a lot of time and money making the thermal design as good as possible and randomly drilling holes in the bottom case isn’t going to help matters.

Soldato
OP
It was more of a think out loud thing at the minute and with having a spare cover sitting around doing nothing, I thought I would maybe give it a try. It can always be binned and the existing cover put back on.
It is maybe something to consider for a rainy day.
I'll play some games with the bottom cover removed and see what the effects are.

Soldato
OP
I've just been playing with the laptop propped up.
Firstly, I don't think my undervolt applied properly the last time I was playing with temps mentioned in my first post.
I redone my undervolt and with the laptop laying flat CPU peaked at 75deg, Gpu- 65deg.
Propped up a couple of inches and temps ended up stable at cpu- 68-70deg and GPU at 58deg.
All tested on a battlefield 1 64 player conquest with ultra settings.
Apex legends kept crashing though, not sure if it's due to CPU or GPU undervolt though.

I don't think I would gain anything more than that drop.
I do however want a laptop rest to keep it angled so be as well get a thin cooling pad.
Any recommendations @Terminal_Boy ?

Back
Top Bottom