• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Laptop/desktop graphics card comparison

Associate
I’ve decided to buy my first laptop the one I’m looking at is a dell inspiron 9400, the standard graphics card that comes with it is - 256MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory, Though there is an upgrade option for a - 256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 for an extra £200

I’m a bit out of the loop with current graphics cards both desktop and laptop, my current graphics card in my pc is a 9700pro, how do the above cards compare with the current desktop cards and is the 7900go worth the extra £200?

I checked out the manual for the inspiron 9400 and there is a page that explains the removal/installation of the graphics card in the laptop

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b383/slow4mula/zanzibb6.jpg

is it even possible to purchase laptop graphics cards? Or are they unique to each laptop?

I should point out that I will hopefully be using the laptop for 3d work in max + maya, I have noticed that some of the other (more expensive) dell laptops have the following graphics cards

256MB NVIDIA® QuadroTM FX 350M PCI-Express OpenGL graphics
512MB NVIDIA® QuadroTM FX 2500M PCI-Express OpenGL graphics

anybody know if the above graphics cards are available for purchase? (I’m not asking for a retailer, I just want to know if it’s possible to acquire these laptop graphics cards)

Back
Top Bottom