Laptop Dock

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have a Dell Latitude 12th Gen i7 1265u laptop. I have a Dell S2721DGFA.

I spent a while messing around with various docks with the aim of a single USB-C cable to drive everything, and ended up with a Cable Matters USB C Multiport Adaptor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZY1ZJDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

In the early days of Teams coming out, I noticed major lag when I plugged my monitor via DP into the dock - as in my system performance collapsed. I now have a partial solution whereby I connect my mouse/keyboard/charger into the Multiport Adaptor and use the HDMI. I'm not totally convinced of this, but I still get lots of performance glitches when using apps like Teams, heavy duty PPTs etc. which do not seem to materialise when I connect to my Lenovo screen (native USB-C).

So browsing HUKD earlier I see the Dell D6000 dock for £30 at CEX. I missed the deal but I noticed they had a bunch of other seemingly quite high-end "docks". For example, this guy is £48 - https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...D=3e42616bdbf4327ed4f4b49613d9fdcb&position=1

It says it is multiple DP monitors at high res and 60hz, it says it has USB 3 x3 and USB-C etc. I am now confused why I had so many issues finding a dock historically - I ended up with a USB2.0 dock so that display had enough bandwidth. Is my dock not actually a dock and the system is having to work hard to drive it?

Are these things labelled "docks" different to "multiport adaptors" and would the WD19TBS work well with my S2721DGFA and my Dell laptop? Could I go to a single cable with zero performance degradation?

Thanks for any myth crushing advice :D

Associate
What laptop do you have ?
Depending on model, it will be able to output it's display via differing methods. Different USB Ports may also have differing video output abilities left/right side etc.

Docks don't really exist anymore, we just get crappy breakout hubs, and multiport adaptors.

The Dell wd19's docks are good when they work (cant really recommend as I am now on my 3rd). - Note that there are around 8 variants of the wd19's using differing technologies. I recall the WD19TB has 2 cables to your PC for the bandwidth requirements, as DisplayPort alt mode often cant handle display + peripherals via a single cable.

Avoid any Display link hubs/docks/adaptors as these will cause slow downs, provide a poor image and utilise system resources to compress the signals. (95% of cheaper hubs,docks etc on the market)
The D6000 is display link
Your cable matters device should use display port alt mode (weather your laptop supports it is another matter - check the port on the laptop it should have a special symbol above it a DP Logo) or even a bios flag to enable it.

To conclude - A cheap usb c hub to plug in peripherals plus native video out from your laptop is the best solution, avoid any hub with display options etc. Or be prepared to pay around 300 for a decent dock. (wd19TB's) can be had for less reconditioned. However they are old now and probably superseded by something.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @Blackbadger that is super helpful.

My laptop is a Latitude 7330. I hadn't realised the RH USB-C has a bunch of symbols by it (SS, a number 5, a lightening bolt and a picture of an empty battery I think!). The other side just has a Plug Symbol and a lightening bolt.

Edit: seems both ports are the same - it is pointing to the old USB plug having powershare.

Glad I missed out on the D6000.

Edit: so this doesn't really add anything more over cheaper docks?

Last edited:
Associate
In theory -that will be a all in one solution (provide power to the laptop too) - I assume the whole purpose of this is to reduce clutter ?
It should also provide enough bandwidth using thunderbolt4 hardware in your laptop instead of a reduced compatibility mode using the USB standard (yes it's confusing USB C and thunderbolt look the same, and can be compatible but can perform differently depending on the hardware. It's a cross compatible thunderbolt/usbc port on your laptop.) Don't get me started....

The WD22TB4 appears to be the same as the WD19, however now has a fan and no audio jack.
The reason for this is apparently that the wd19's overheated and kept failing.. - I guess this explains my issues.....

You do get regular firmware updates etc with the dell devices, and dell do recommend the WD22TB4 for your device. As far as cheaper docks - it's a total minefield.

Currently I'm plugged in via power, HDMI and a externally powered 8 slot USB extension hub currently using 6 different USB devices, Printer, wireless Keyboard, wireless mouse, 2.5gb USB network adaptor, audio, and card reader. these are all out of sight. It's rock solid, and cheap. £15.

That's my recommendation. However the Dell option will get you down to 1 cable into your laptop instead of 3, quite a price to pay.

Real docks are what the ATG and rugged devices use, however have fallen out of favour for consumer devices unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah understood - I think that's where I was a bit confused. So basically the multiport adaptor I have is a USB-C thing; and the proper docks can be that, but some are proper Thunderbolt. The size difference is because the dock itself has various controllers in there for USB etc.

Thank you sir.

Soldato
Yeah, as has been mentioned a decent dock can cost a not insignificant amount of money. We use I-Tec docks at work, they're quality bits of kit and come in at a fairly reasonable price. - Link. I use this one which enables me to charge the laptop, output to 2 monitors, plug in my mouse, keyboard, and LAN using just a single USB-C cable.

Associate
Yeah, as has been mentioned a decent dock can cost a not insignificant amount of money. We use I-Tec docks at work, they're quality bits of kit and come in at a fairly reasonable price. - Link. I use this one which enables me to charge the laptop, output to 2 monitors, plug in my mouse, keyboard, and LAN using just a single USB-C cable.
I'm personally not a fan of I-tec, we had a number of them blowing up (smoking heavily) and we ended up replacing them with dell ud22s. I'm sure the isses solved but cased a major headache at the time and a strong dislike.

Soldato
I'm personally not a fan of I-tec, we had a number of them blowing up (smoking heavily) and we ended up replacing them with dell ud22s. I'm sure the isses solved but cased a major headache at the time and a strong dislike.
That's interesting, don't suppose you know which model it was?

Soldato
in ofice and at home imusin d6000s /d6000 they seem to work well for use. we have a few wd19s/ wd22 / hp universals / and the hp thunderbolt.
they all have their own issues, the main one being power supply to BIM laptops which require 130w, and the docks usually only supplying 64 or 90w.

I-Tec seem to use displayylink also as best i can tell, it seems to be the standard for universal.

Soldato
in ofice and at home imusin d6000s /d6000 they seem to work well for use. we have a few wd19s/ wd22 / hp universals / and the hp thunderbolt.
they all have their own issues, the main one being power supply to BIM laptops which require 130w, and the docks usually only supplying 64 or 90w.

I-Tec seem to use displayylink also as best i can tell, it seems to be the standard for universal.
I-Tec have many docks with many configurations, some may say there are too many choices! The one I'm currently using is the "cadua4kdockpdl2-2". It offers 4k resolution via either HDMI or DP on its 2 video outputs. Works really well and haven't experienced any issues with it so far.

Soldato
OP
Reporting back here.

Turns out the biggest issue I was having was BD PROCHOC. Because my Lenovo has PD, the Dell was throwing a wobble on incompatible charger (I imagine the last mile USB C cable may have been adding complexity there too).

I've complained to the firm and they are replacing for a HP.

Back
Top Bottom