1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop drivers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Paul Thomasson, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Paul Thomasson

Associate

Hi all
    I have reformatted my laptop with fresh windows onto it, but the problem is I have no drivers for it . I have been onto the Samsung website and downloaded the drivers but there not working right for some reason. Is there any free software I can download and put onto the laptop that I can scan and download the drivers for free ?
    Many thanks
    Paul

2. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Make sure you've downloaded the correct drivers or driver package for your specific model, there's probably a lot of variations in spec on similar looking laptops.

Once done make a list of what's not working and go into device manager to see what's got an error next to it.

What exactly isn't working, ethernet, WiFi, touch pad?

3. Paul Thomasson

Associate

I have downloaded the right drivers and the Ethernet and WiFi are not working

4. tamzzy

Capodecina

are they enabled via network connections?

5. Paul Thomasson

Associate

Yes there all enabled and still not working.

6. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Does seem odd, standard windows-10 drivers should at least get them working.

Is there an error next to them in device manager, just thinking you may have pressed a hot key combo to turn them off or something.

7. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I suppose if you are really stuck, a USB WiFi dongle might work, to allow you to run all available windows updates and that might sort it out.

Half the battle with problems like this is getting the machine online so you can run updates, or Samsung may even have some sort of update utility you can download.

8. Paul Thomasson

Associate

I have put windows xp on it as I did not like the windows it came with . I can see my WiFi connection but even tho it’s password protected it try’s to connect and i can’t enter a password

9. ic1male

Caporegime

Windows XP? Dear lord. You're opening yourself up to all sorts of problems with that now. Windows 10 is the best OS for mobile computing, you need to put it back on really.

10. Paul Thomasson

Associate

I only have an xp disk. And I reformatted my home pc for the xp and that works great

11. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I think we may have identified the problem!

Windows xp, which was great back in the day, is no longer supported. There are probably no compatible drivers available for it, not to mention the security risks of running such an old operating system.

12. ic1male

Caporegime

Do you know what version of Windows your laptop came with? Is there a sticker on the bottom with the version and a product key?

13. darael

Mobster

Reinstall the version of Windows 10 that your laptop came with and adapt to it. You might be unfamiliar with it's interface, but you will find it better if you give it a chance. Not to mention it's more secure than Windows XP.

14. Amraam

Mobster

OP, WinXP is pretty much 20 years old. It is so far behind in terms of compatibility, capability, and security you'd be much better off with Windows 10 and getting used to it.