1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop for a Linux distro

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by elrasho, Nov 30, 2018.

1. elrasho

Soldato

My 6 year old Windows 7 laptop died so I'm looking for a Laptop purely for internet browsing, streaming Amazon Prime, Netflix and Youtube.

Any recommendations on a Laptop and a distro? Idon'tt mind going second hand.

2. TheSkateyBird

Hitman

Second hand Thinkpads run Linux beautifully. Recently picked up a T430s off the bay for around 130. Hardware support is pretty much the same across distros as they share the kernel, support for Thinkpads is particularly good as they are used by some of the developers. Only downside is that the TN screens on Thinkpads are pretty bad for viewing angle.

I like Solus as a standard install and go distro, but you could pick from Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora etc - Whichever takes your fancy.

3. elrasho

Soldato

Brill my laptop was a thinkpad edge e520, loved it to bits.

4. TheSkateyBird

Hitman

Nice! When browsing the best ones to choose from would be either the T series (14" screen) or the X series (12" screen). These two lines are very rugged and durable too, more so than the edge series!

5. Hades

Capodecina

Another vote for a used Thinkpad T series. I have two now. My T530 (a larger version of the T430 mentioned above) was dirt cheap for a quad core i7, now with 16gb RAM and two SSD's. With a docking station it also drives three monitors. Poor inbuilt screen though. Even though it's 5 years old it's still a very viable desktop replacement.

More recently I got an incredibly cheap T440s which is slimmer and lighter for travel, runs for about 10 hours on the extended battery, 1080p IPS screen, 12gb RAM and SSD for £175 (a few external scuffs). The trackpads on the T*40 models are poor but can be swapped with a later version.

Both run Linux perfectly and have best in class keyboards. Unless you find one with an IPS screen then they can be poor though. Also the trackpads before the T*50 series are poor. But a huge advantage of Thinkpad T series is that they can be so easily repaired and upgraded. Parts are easy to find and they are generally cheap used laptops because business get rid of them regularly.

The X series are a smaller version of the T.

6. TheSkateyBird

Hitman

I've had my T430 for about a month and already managed to convince myself I need an X series as well :p

7. ExoMale

Mobster

I’m running 64bit Ubuntu 18.04 on my dell laptop which is essentially a low end HP stream lol and it runs fine, better than win 10 64bit it comes with from factory, it’s not a quick laptop, so like above then if you want fast then you can go wrong with anything 2nd/3rd gen i3, 4gb ram onwards or if you’d likely want brand new then pentium Versions

8. Hades

Capodecina

There's one for sale in the MM right now :)

*not mine

9. manic111

Capodecina

What distro do you guys generally use? I was looking at buying a Thinkpad and installing Linux rather than getting a new Windows machine, but the massive "title" bar at the top of every program drives me spare - such a waste of screen estate on a laptop. Are there any distros designed with laptop screens in mind?

10. Hades

Capodecina

Most Linux distro's and desktop environments are highly configurable. You could probably move the bar.

I normally recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon. It looks quite a bit like Windows. But I've found recently that it's not the best for battery life out of the box on a laptop. So instead I would recommend Mint Mate or Ubuntu Mate which are quite lightweight. Ubuntu Mate starts with a top bar but is easily configured. However I've recently tried Kubuntu which uses the KDE Plasma desktop and I'm really liking it. It's also quite battery efficient. So any of those three would be my recommendation for a laptop which maximises space. I'm similar to you and dislike top bars.

11. Sp00n

Capodecina

I have an x230 running Elementary, I love it, cost me £130, upgraded to an IPS panel (from china), 8gb ram, 120gb SSD + 240gb mSata.

Only downside is the trackpad which I really don't like, but I have an external mouse I carry with me... and the screen is 1366x768, you can mod it to 1080p but I'm not that bothered, some people might be though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM