Laptop for university - Aorus X3 Plus V3 - Good idea/deal?

Associate
Hi guys. So I am moving to university next month and I wanted a laptop.

Right away I'll say that I have a gaming desktop (r9 390x, 12gb ram, i7 4790k) which pretty much does the job for me, and I will be taking it to university with me to use in free time.

I am going to study engineering and my course has a lot of CAD and some programming too, so I was looking for a laptop that is small, powerful and good for taking notes in class as well as take along when travelling (I do travel quite a bit).

I spotted this bad boy - Aorus X3 Plus V3.... The specs it has is I7 4720HQ, GTX 970M 6gb, 16gb DDR3. and it is only 13.9' and weights under 2kg!!!! I decided to put a bid on 690 GBP and next morning I find out that I actually have won (totally unexpected to be honest, considering similar laptops being in price range of 800-900 on ebay). Reading up reviews on it, it seems to have good performance and has around 5 hours of battery life when using WIFI and browsing which doesn't seem bad at all.

Do you guys think this was a good buy for 690 GBP?? I thought its quite a good offer however some friends of mine think that the price is not right...

What do you think? Was it worth the price? Purely making this thread to see what people think.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is confusing, my thoughts are all over the place!

TL:DR, Got Aorus X3 Plus V3 for 690GBP (Barely used), wondering if its a good laptop for class and travelling.

Ciao!

Associate
Can't answer your question, But keep me updated on how it works for you.
I am in the same boat. Junior (3rd year) Mech E student. I got an Aorus x5v7 coming.
I like you, needed something powerful (wanted something comfortably powerful, not adequate). Since I will be on campus all day every day, With no ability to go home (50min drive 1 way) to do homework on my liquid cooled beastly desktop. I need a laptop I can carry all day and use all day between classes to do all my homework and CAD work.
I think I went with something that was little extravagant, to be honest. But eh, came out of financial aid. It hopefully won't bite me in the ass until I've graduated with 65k year salary.

Associate
OP
Can't answer your question, But keep me updated on how it works for you.
I am in the same boat. Junior (3rd year) Mech E student. I got an Aorus x5v7 coming.
I like you, needed something powerful (wanted something comfortably powerful, not adequate). Since I will be on campus all day every day, With no ability to go home (50min drive 1 way) to do homework on my liquid cooled beastly desktop. I need a laptop I can carry all day and use all day between classes to do all my homework and CAD work.
I think I went with something that was little extravagant, to be honest. But eh, came out of financial aid. It hopefully won't bite me in the ass until I've graduated with 65k year salary.
Sure. I should be getting it this thursday. After working with CAD on laggy college computers, i simply had to go for a powerful one haha

Associate
Sure. I should be getting it this Thursday. After working with CAD on laggy college computers, I simply had to go for a powerful one haha

Same, I was trying to do my work on an old core i7 920 desktops with 758 mb gpus.
After waiting and waiting for every render from simply rotating my view point. And then losing all my work and backups because I plugged my flash drive into a PC with different version number of Solidworks. I had enough.

Associate
OP
Same, I was trying to do my work on an old core i7 920 desktops with 758 mb gpus.
After waiting and waiting for every render from simply rotating my view point. And then losing all my work and backups because I plugged my flash drive into a PC with different version number of Solidworks. I had enough.
I have not done much CAD but in college we have worked on AutoCad (not much) and Inventor (quite a lot). Inventor is quite a begginers one and even then it lagged like crazy dude. The amount of times my days work was erased .....

Back
Top Bottom