Laptop Information

Soldato
I'm planning on buying my first laptop and was wondering if anyone knows any good sites that have reviews and information for a first time buyer?

I've got around £600 and want to basically be able to use it for all the multi media applications I'll be using in my course later this year.

I was thinking about getting a mac book as all the colleges and universitys seem to use them and I have very little experience with macs so I thought getting one would be a great asset.

The main reason I wouldn't get one is the fact I want the best I can get for my money and I've heard the you can get a better speced laptop for the same price as a mac book.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
What, in specific would you like to know?

The intel Core Duo's, and Core 2 Duo's seem to be the best mobile CPU at the moment, which you can have for your budget. You'll probably have the onboard Intel graphics for that money, but its fine for everything except gaming.

Soldato
OP
I saw an Acer for around my budget with a Core 2 Duo and a nvidia graphics card that looks like a great deal.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find something for a great price but my main concern is with chossing between a macbook or a laptop.

The basic macbook I can have for under £700 but could I get a laptop that would perform similarly for the same price?

Also is there any reason to get a mac over a laptop as I could probably get all the software I need for a laptop anyway.

Soldato
The MacBook, is smaller - 13.1" screen. Where as the PC Laptop, would most likely be 15.4".

So, part of the choice has to be mobility as the Apple is much smaller and lighter.
Spec wise, they'd be quite similar with the PC having the edge. If you've used OSX before, and are happy living with Mac applications, then that's 1 less barried. Paralles and Boot Camp will let you run XP to an extent though.

Also, check that Acer again - are you sure it was a Core 2 Duo, and not a Core Duo?

Soldato
OP
Sorry the Acer was a Core Duo.

If the macbook has no major advantage I'll probably be better off getting a laptops and getting the best spec with my budget. Plus as I'm not used to macs I'd rather have a laptop anyway and if I have a laptop I waon't need to use the mac suite in my college.

The only problem I now face is that I'd now rather wait for vista next year.

Associate
Hi

I'm in a similar situation where im looking to buy my first laptop.

I've spent the last 2-3 days reading up all i can find and i have to say its pretty hard to find the information you want on laptops, its much much easyer to find reviews on components for normal pc to laptops.

The below link takes you to a site where there is a forum with loads of information and they also do reviews on laptops aswell.

Its not just a region based site its pretty much from people all over the world from USA/UK/Eurpoe etc....

Theres lots of information to be had and im sure it will help you in someway.

QUESTION FOR MODS
Am i allowed to link to companies who sell laptops that aint dells ?
Also any other rules which may help for me not to break the rules please as im not to sure what they are regarding laptops.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Lenovo 3000 N100

# Intel Centrino Core Duo T2400 Processor 1.83GHz
# 512MB DDRII-667MHz SDRAM - Low cost double memory offer – call for details!
# 80GB Hard Drive
# DVDRW Multi Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs and DVD+, DVD- and DVD-Ram
# 15.4" WSXGA+ VibrantView Widescreen TFT Screen (1680 x 1050)
# Integrated Digital Camera
# NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 128MB Graphics
# Integrated wireless 802.11a/b/g LAN - Call for advice on Wireless networking
# Integrated Bluetooth
# Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pre Loaded

£599.97

Seems like a good deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom