Laptop or PC

Soldato
Ok so I was planning to do a PC build, I have the 5600x and 3060Ti FE. I'm not a pc gamer but may try some games in the future. (Can this handle flight simulator)? I do some video editing, nothing fancy.

So now the 30, series GPU latops are dropping and I'm thinking is there any point building a PC? I've calculated to set me atleast £1200. What equivalent laptop can I buy?

I seriously can't think right now, I'm 50/50 and now doubting should I just leave both off this year.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Do you need the portability of a laptop ? You will always get better cooling, performance and value from a desktop. A desktop is also easier to upgrade and repair.

Soldato
OP
Do you need the portability of a laptop ? You will always get better cooling, performance and value from a desktop. A desktop is also easier to upgrade and repair.

Well I guess I can move it around the house or plug into TV if want to try Flight Simulator. Also means desk space will be free.

Associate
The main benefit is portability but having had one, I just couldn't go over the fan noise, especialy if you don't use headphones.

If you need a gaming PC that can travel between locations then sure, otherwise an alternative for just home use could be a SFF (small form factor build) as you could still comfortably move it between rooms.

Soldato
Desktop unless you need to have portability. I have desktops and they're great same parts and can reuse as upgrades needed or keep pay and case etc

Laptop useful if you need to move from room to room, ie connect to usb hard drive in other rooms, browsing, email, music management etc

Associate
Really depends on your requirements, but I ended up selling my laptop as I don't get much use out of it. A desktop will always be more cheaper when you compare like for like and if you want to do stuff like gaming, it just really sucks on a laptop. The fans will be spinning like crazy and blowing hot air all over the place, it's just a terrible experience. The only thing I need a laptop for is occasional equipment testing or browsing, for that purpose I just use my phone or a tablet.

Associate
It's a great time to buy a laptop in my opinion. Graphics cards are hard to get otherwise (but I guess you have that covered), as are some SSDs, prices of desktops are being driven up and it's just aggro getting stuff. Laptops on the other hand? There are some very good options out there. You could grab one of the Lenovo Legion 5 models at that budget. Will a desktop be better performance? Yes. Will you get good value for money on a desktop though? Questionable. If you have literally all the parts already? Maybe easier to just carry on.

Associate
It's a great time to buy a laptop in my opinion. Graphics cards are hard to get otherwise (but I guess you have that covered), as are some SSDs, prices of desktops are being driven up and it's just aggro getting stuff. Laptops on the other hand? There are some very good options out there. You could grab one of the Lenovo Legion 5 models at that budget. Will a desktop be better performance? Yes. Will you get good value for money on a desktop though? Questionable. If you have literally all the parts already? Maybe easier to just carry on.

I didn't actually think of that. You're absolutely right, graphics cards are like gold dust so getting a decent laptop is actually an option to consider

Back
Top Bottom