Laptop owners with Intel Pentium M CPU's..

Soldato
Was just wondering what kind of temps your getting with the Pentium M processors?

Just debating whether to apply some Arctic Silver 5 onto the CPU or not.

My Pentium M 1.73GHz seems to idle at around 45oC (web, office etc) and hits around 65oC when loaded (running Super Pi for example).

Just interested in what other people are getting temp wise.

No idea of exact temps, but the heatsink itelf is really hot with the fan on system controlled mode. BIOS has no temp readings at all, any utils? 1.6ghz P4 Mobile.

Dell Inspiron 6000 owner here, 1.73Ghz also. Idled at 30-35c and loaded at 50-55c.

I took it apart and rebuilt it about 2 weeks ago, to clean out the fan and vents (had it about 8 months now I reckon). I thought 'while I've got it open I may aswell put some AS5 on'. So I did. And I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. Well OK, maybe one or two degrees but not exactly much.

Seems to me like your laptop has airflow issues GJS. I'm assuming you realise you can use Speedfa, squiffy?

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked SiS650 SMBUS at $8000
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=LPC47n227
Scanning SiSx30 SMBus at $8000...
Address $30 appears to be WRITE ONLY...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD600VE-00HDT0 (60.0GB)
End of detection

First page is blank :( Cannot adjust fan

Airflow is a bit tricky with a laptop.:p

My laptop is a Dell too but an Inspiron 630m.

Only airflow I've got is a small intake air vent underneath the laptop near the CPU area.

I believe that when idle the CPU cooling is completely passive. I can't hear or feel the fan. Only appears to spin up when the CPU is undersome load.

Is that the same with yours?

Actually, I just ran the same Super Pi test that I did to get the first set of temps, only this time, I held the laptop in the air. Temps never went above 60oC.

Currently got my laptop on a table with some think plastic cover on it, so its probably pressing against and obstructing the air hole underneath.

Last edited:
my fujitsu has a P-M 740, idles at 50C exactly, never goes above 55 even during a hard gaming session. The fan hardly ever runs which makes it exceptionaly quiet.

Decided to apply some Arctic Silver 5 and glad I did!

Idles at around 35oC and when loaded with something like Super Pi load temps hit 50oC! So a noticable improvement for a 5 minute job.:)

Laptop is much quieter now.

The CPU fan used to kick in around 45-50oC. This was quite evident during boot up and browsing some flash heavy sites. Can't even hear it now.

Default thermal material on there was some kind of silver foil pad. Whatever it was, it done a pants job.

GuruJockStrap said:
So a noticable improvement for a 5 minute job.:)

Default thermal material on there was some kind of silver foil pad. Whatever it was, it done a pants job.
5 minutes? Bit quick! :eek:

Mine was the same silver pad, seemed to do a good job. HOWEVER, you said the fan on your's isn't on when idle. Mine is different; spins at 2500rpm idle and goes up to 4000rpm when on full load (depending on temperature, can be anywhere in between). Pretty quiet though at 2500rpm.

Squiffy, depending on the main board in yours, fan speed control may or may not be possible. This is also true of a lot of fan headers on desktop motherboards.

Mine is similar in that Speedfan can't control the fan and doesn't initially detect many of the temperatures. I have to enable 'Dell support' in the options menu (for Dell laptops surprise surprise!).

To control the fan, I use a program called I8K Fan GUI (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html). Can switch it off completely usig that or setup custom temperature/rpm curves :cool: Again, only works on Dell laptops though.

Hope this helps, null :)

/ Random picture of cooling assembly:

HPIM0783 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Whats that other heatpipe in the picture? Is it for the GPU?

Mines only got the CPU heatpipe and thats it as my graphics is the Intel integrated version. Might be why mine fan isn't spinning. One less component to cool.

Actually, I say it isn't spinning but I'm not 100% sure. Can't hear anything as I assume its off.

Back
Top Bottom