Laptop Recommendations

Associate
I'm looking to replace my ancient laptop with something a bit nicer. I'm looking at something like a HP Envy 13 or possibly a custom build. The laptop is mostly used for web browsing and streaming but I want it to have enough grunt for the occasional bit of development in Java/Javascript/Python and some light gaming.

At the minute I'm looking for something with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor, ideally i7
16GB Ram - I want to be able to upgrade this in future if needed
512GB SSD
Discrete Graphics (e.g. Gforce MX250)
WiFi 6 compatible

The crucial thing for me in this is that I'd like those specs in the smallest chassis possible while keeping the possibility of upgrading the RAM.

I'd really appreciate some advice on whether these specs are overkill, how important it might be to be able to upgrade the RAM beyond 16GB and any suggestions of models that might fit my bill.

Thanks very much in advance for the help.

Associate
OP
I've got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 i4 currently on order, good discounts via stacked 10% off codes.

i5 1035G1, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, WIFI 6, all metal chassis, MX350 GPU, 1080P IPS panel. Without windows it was just over £500. You can customize it with an i7 1065G7 but the i5 seemed the better buy.

Not clear if RAM is upgradeable though as no reviews yet.
Can I ask where you were seeing that. I could only find an i5 version but it sounds really good :)

Associate
OP
I bought my wife an HP Envy 13 just before Christmas with almost the exact spec you listed (it has a 1tb SSD though). We got it for just under a grand - it's massive overkill for her use (mostly research, assignments and a bit of WoW for me when I can't be bothered going upstairs to my pc, so nothing too taxing) BUT it is absolutely lovely - the screen is incredible, the build quality is outstanding, the keyboard is great, the speakers are surprisingly good. Everything about it is spot-on and though I think she could have made do with something half the price, it feels like we got a real bargain.

Yeah my housemate has one with an older gen processor. RAM can't be upgraded AFAIK but the thing is flipping gorgeous in terms of form factor and that is important to me. Definitely tempted to head down that route. Would love to know if anyone has done anything a bit more strenuous on one of these though.

Back
Top Bottom