Associate
Hi
Just need some advice about a repaste on a laptop. I have a MSI GE75 8SF with a RTX2070 and think its probably in need of a repaste as it is getting very hot especially under load. Even at idle just sitting in windows the fans are ramping up. I've read numerous posts both here and on other sites about what to use as thermal compound but I was wondering what do i use for the VRM's and chips that are also covered by the heat sink. Most people that have posted about this laptop say there is some sort of thick thermal paste used by MSI for the VRM's etc and this turns out to be something like the K5 Pro paste. I'm assuming I can't use the same thermal compound as for the CPU/GPU?

Have you any other suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
It might be full of dust if you use your laptop on the floor? I've fixed a lot of gaming laptops with overheating issues and 50% of the time the fans and vents are jam packed with dust.

Associate
OP
I thought that as well so i checked and its all pretty spotless inside Although I've had the laptop about 18 months I've really only used it a dozen or so times. Most of the time it lives in its box so the inside of it is spotless. It was one of my less thought about purchases, i was travelling around a bit and thought a gaming laptop would be a good buy but then i stopped travelling…

The reason behind the repaste was that, apparently, MSI are notorious for not doing a good job of the factory pasting of the gpu and cpu. And they use cheap thermal paste. At least thats what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom