Laptop running DVD ubuntu LIVE can it USB wireless?

Associate
Laptop running DVD Knoppix LIVE can it USB wireless?

Hi Guys,

A friend’s laptop running windoz has crashed badly or got a virus.
I have attempted to use my powerful windows recovery software but the registry seems to far gone. Most of the op systems functions are dead.

I need to recover some images for them.

The GOOD NEWS is, Using Knoppix LIVE DVD I can access and view the images.
I desperately need to get them onto another machine.

I have a USB HD that is recognised by Knoppix and is FAT 32 but it will not transfer the files across.

The laptop does not have a network socket so as a last resort I am thinking I could use my USB wireless adaptor to connect to my network and transfer the files to another Linux machine that I have.

Can anyone help?

Probably best to start with the USB HD problem as it may be the fastest solution.
The Wireless USB adaptor stops Knoppix LIVE from running if plugged in at boot. Nothing seems to happen when attached post boot.

Last edited:
What error does it give when trying to transfer the file to the external disk? I've never had any problems using FAT32 partitions.

I ask that because it might be rather dodgy trying to load kernel-mode drivers into the live system. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to copy it to disk in a more usual method.

BillytheImpaler said:
What error does it give when trying to transfer the file to the external disk? I've never had any problems using FAT32 partitions.

I ask that because it might be rather dodgy trying to load kernel-mode drivers into the live system. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to copy it to disk in a more usual method.

The error generated is as follows,

Could not make folder /media/sda1/linux images

How do i check to see if the drive has been mounted as RO or R/W?

I dont believe it! right under my nose all this time.

I knew it was a simple thing.

Thanks 'Hate'.

I right clicked on the USB icon (representing the HD) on the desktop and discovered an option to change the Read Write mode!

Why does it boot as Read Only by default? Oh well who cares, I hope that this will now work. :¬D

Cheers for all the replies.

I guess the whole ethos of live cds are to let you use linux without destroying anything, say it automounted your windows drive in read write mode and you went a little happy and deleted things by accident, you wouldn't be happy!

Back
Top Bottom