Laptop screen has gone blue...

Associate
My laptop's screen suddenly looks really blue. It turned like that in an instant while I was using it (just browsing the web). I havent touched any colour settings in the display properties, it just happenes.

Playing around withthe hues in display properties doesnt manage to balance the colours right, so I went back to defaults.

Could it be the screen is gone? It reminds me of the way old TV sets used to go. The laptop hasnt been dropped or anything of the like, it just sits on the same desk in my lounge all the time.

Any ideas?

PS: Its an Asus laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 I bought a couple of years ago from OCuk.

Soldato
aye could well be the ribbon cable connecting the screen. Also fwiw, the mobility 9700 will be onboard so if its a problem with that (unlikely) then its new lappy time.

Associate
OP
I'm at work now, but I think if I connect it to an external screen and that isnt blue it would eliminate the possibility of it being a problem with the graphics adapter.

I am leaning towards the theory of the connectors, but is it a simple task to open it up and re-insert the connectors or is it not worth risking and should send the lapop somewhere?

Alex53 said:
My laptop's screen suddenly looks really blue. It turned like that in an instant while I was using it (just browsing the web). I havent touched any colour settings in the display properties, it just happenes.

Playing around withthe hues in display properties doesnt manage to balance the colours right, so I went back to defaults.

Could it be the screen is gone? It reminds me of the way old TV sets used to go. The laptop hasnt been dropped or anything of the like, it just sits on the same desk in my lounge all the time.

Any ideas?

PS: Its an Asus laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 I bought a couple of years ago from OCuk.

don't know no if this will help you eliminate anythink but have you tried connecting a monitor to your laptop to see if the blue hue show there also, if so then your screen may be fine and it could a more serious problem..

Soldato
Alex53 said:
I'm at work now, but I think if I connect it to an external screen and that isnt blue it would eliminate the possibility of it being a problem with the graphics adapter.

I am leaning towards the theory of the connectors, but is it a simple task to open it up and re-insert the connectors or is it not worth risking and should send the lapop somewhere?
It depends how confident you are taking apart laptops. They can be quite fiddly. I managed to fix my own, but it's easy enough to break things if you are not careful.

If you've got another ribboon cable, the whole thing could be done in less than an hour, so it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get it done professionally.

Back
Top Bottom