Laptop Suggestion

Soldato
I'm contemplating moving onto a laptop that has better cooling and is a bit more up to date.

Are ************ good price to performance as you can customize to your liking?

Considering RTX2070 and a 6-8 core i7, 16GB Ram, and using my intel / samsung NVMe that I already have.

Probably max budget of 2k and ideal of 1.5k

Cheers.

Man of Honour
I’ve not used them before myself but interested in your findings.

I just had to return my msi gt75 sf due to a couple of faults and I’ve not been able to find anything that comes even remotely close to it. I am probably going to wait until new stock arrives but that takes me into April. Unfortunately it’s also £2.6k which puts it out of reach for you too :/

Biggest hurdle in all laptops I’ve compared is the cooling. These thin and lights are terrible as the cpu ends up throttling and kills performance on most cases and then the fans kick in and destroy your ear drums. The msi was using the old tried and tested chassis which is hard to beat in my opinion. But it’s the only new model that features the larger footprint I’ve found in all the new laptops which worries me.

Soldato
OP
I'd get a desktop and just throttle the laptop myself but I can't justify desktop as the amount of time at my desk is minimal

The ************ you can get an 8core i7 K series and RTX2070 laptop for around 1.5k when you take out OS and any HDD they include since I've got my own

Seems too good to be true though what's the catch?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've just had a look myself and the prices are pretty incredible. I can get more or less the same spec as the GT75 SF for £300 less, and if I change the drives a little I'd be saving even more. Obviously you dont get the branding and bespoke software plus its a desktop cpu and not the mobile cpu, which means potentially more heat/throttling. Plus I don't know how good those fans/heatpipes are.

Lots of positives reviews and a few worrying ones too..... No idea what to think to be honest. Usually when something seems to good to be true...

Soldato
OP
Well laptop CPU and the GPU will be a slot so it's all better in that respect, you can tweak the TDP values but yes there is a few worrying reviews. I'm really stuck what to consider, 1100 quid and you can almost get yourself RTX2070 and 8750 too!

Man of Honour
So deffo worth it over competitors? Can these desktop GPUs be overclocked and kept "cool"

Relatively yes. I mean there is still some limitation on thermals but I found the Clevo chassis very good for cooling. Beats the hell out of the cooling solution on the Vega M Gl in my spectre. Also being a Clevo you will be able to find updated cooling solutions readily available in China. I bought one for my 6700hq/GTX 970 6gb and it done great stuff at reducing thermals and noise in my p950re Clevo.

Man of Honour
Interesting! What sort of cooling solutions? You mean custom heatpipes etc?

Yea they do solutions with extra fans, more heat pipes etc and parts are really easy to get hold of, what you can find depends entirely on the chassis but you tend to be able to take all the parts out and recase as they revise the chassis if like me you abuse the thing :). Here is a pic I took of my one, Sad i had to retire it so early really, gaming and cooling wise it is superior to my 2018 spectre x360 (intel 8750g with 24cu vega) which is severely hampered by cooling but does ok with an undervolt. All it gets used for now is an occasional game of pubg or csgo if a mate comes up. Ive also sold a few clevos on here and put new cases on them before sale. An entire new and upgraded (had some direct contact cooling for VRM's around the gpu) chassis for my p950re cost a total of £130 and that included all new fans and heatpipes. This machine has it all though, hyperx memory, nvme, space to stack 2 2.5" disks, sim card slot, 4k ips, and even in the chassis I bought it in it wouldn't throttle, you could even overclock it a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Really not sure what to do.

Almost pulled trigger on RTX2070 with 9700K Area 51m but didn't in end seems so much money for a laptop that future upgradability isn't really gauranteed.

So peed off I'd be happy with the aorus if it didn't throttle and actually ran at 4GHz like most people can get it to but even throttles at stock. Had to Dremmel the screws so done that got temps down 5 degrees still nowt as it's hitting 95 and to make matters worse then screen head half came off so now cooler stuck.

Associate
The Clevo with an I7-9700K and RTX 2080 is eating the equivalent Alienware Area 51M alive.

See sig for details :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I still can’t decide so I’ve given up looking.

Me too, ended up buying a second hand desktop with a 6 core ryzen 1600 and 1080ti. That means smooth gaming at home and slight compromise on laptop away from home however I don't need a desktop performing laptop now I have a desktop and probably saved about 1.4k

Soldato
I still can’t decide so I’ve given up looking.
Hah - I hit that point after reading reviews and feedback.

Think I will just upgrade my rig at home and get a cheap laptop. I can then set up a VPN and use remote desktop and SSH to do what I need. Gaming on a lappy isn't a priority for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom