Laptop Suggestions

Soldato
Hi guys,

Since my 2018 MacBook Pro has keyboard issues and is now unusable, I'm looking for a new laptop. Of course I'll get the MBP repaired but I'll be selling it on once it's sorted and taking the opportunity to get something capable of light gaming as well. In the meantime I'm using my work Dell XPS 15 (i7 6700HQ/16GB RAM/GeForce 960M) which is ok but I just feel better about using something of my own at home. However I'm not really sure whether to buy now or hold off. My requirements primarily are:

15" screen
i7 8750H
16GB RAM
at least 256GB SSD but more ideally
some sort of half decent GPU
relatively thin case

When it comes to price it's more or less of a case of whatever it takes but max of £1800 I think. I don't need or want it to be a gaming laptop as such and battery life is important to me. That means that anything GeForce 20xx series is out and also anything with a 144Hz screen is out too because that really hammers the battery.

One that's caught my eye so far is the HP Spectre x360 (2019, 15-df0002na variant) which fits the bill pretty well - has a 1TB SSD and GeForce 1050 Ti in it so it would be fine for some light gaming and I can get it for about £1700 which isn't exactly cheap but it's not too bad given the spec.

Any others that I may have missed? One other option is the newer Dell XPS but since I already have one, albeit an older model, as my work laptop I would like something different. Especially as I despise the touch pad on this thing.

Soldato
Dell precision 5530 should fit that bill quite well, my work laptop is the 5520 and is a great all rounder.
I'm a big HP fan but the higher end Dells feel better built than the comparative HPs.

Back
Top Bottom