Laptop unexpected shutdowns

Associate
Hi I've got a Lenovo I500-15ISK, had it new four years ago and it's been a good machine.
Only used for wp and browsing with the odd bit of database construction.

Lat weekend I was using it and had about 6 browser windows open when it emitted almost a 'feedback' sound and shutdown.
I suspected this to be the mouse as it refused to power up after that.
Borrowed another mouse and this would not initially 'light up' but started working after I switched it round sockets for a while.

The unecpected shutdowns and immediate reboot commenced so I took USB out of the equation and used the touchpad. This was okay for a while but I then started to get the BSOD with various reasons.

I tried a refresh of windows and that worked for about an hour.

After that I did a complete wipe and install and still the occasional shutdown and reboot.

I ran chkdisk and the corresponding ram check and they came back okay.

Tried taking it apart and failed but gave it a dust out with compressed air and am currenrtly using a bluetooth mouse.

Any ideas as to the reason for this behaviour?

Associate
Is the battery ok ? , if it is will it run without crashing just on the battery ?

What are the temps like ?

What memtest did you use ?

Associate
OP
the battery works and there seems no problems when just using battery. cpu temp is 37 degrees. the RAM test was the one built into windows.

Associate
Well it could be that the power brick is faulty ,try to borrow one to test , and run memtest86 and let it loop for a few hours.

If not its probably the charging circuit or the battery at fault , can you remove the battery and test on mains power or is it built into the laptop ?

Associate
OP
Well it could be that the power brick is faulty ,try to borrow one to test , and run memtest86 and let it loop for a few hours.

If not its probably the charging circuit or the battery at fault , can you remove the battery and test on mains power or is it built into the laptop ?
Hi unfortunately I can't remove the battery as I can't get the flaming back off! Touch wood so far it seems to be behaving. I haven't tried anything on the usb circuit yet.
I'll see how it goes and if it starts again I'll definitely run the memtest86.
Perhaps having it apart and a good blast of compressed air has sorted it out? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom