Laptops with upgradeable RAM?

Associate
Am I looking for Rocking Horse poo, or is there any hope?

I need to replace my laptop - nothing heavy duty but it needs to last. Previous one was a 4th gen i5 touchscreen Lenovo 15 inch 8GB RAM

Today it seems they require my arms and at least one leg to purchase a touchscreen, so I may have to ditch that idea, but I do need to be able to upgrade RAM when necessary - 16GB models seem to be stupid expensive.
I've looked at the £500 mark over on Currys which seems to be the same as everywher else, and a 13th gen i5 or the equivalent ryzen 5 seems about ok, but none of the laptops seem to have upgradeable RAM, any suggestions?
Money is tighter than a whales backside, so I looked at Currys as they do interest free credit, but my head is spinning.

Associate
OP
Thanks.
I've been looking at Acer, HP and Lenovo mostly, but that's about it.
The only way I figured out how to check for upgradable RAM was to find a model, then look for it's motherboard on ebay etc, where I can visually see whether the RAM is upgradeable.

I got a reply from Acer about a particular model, which said 'no, not upgradeable' then 'subtract the amount intalled from the maximum and that's how much you can upgrade' :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Did you not check out the option above with 16GB/32GB already installed?
Yes, checked them, but as I said, price is a huge factor here, which is why I am looking at Currys - they have finance options including 6/9 months interest free, and 10% interest.
The 16GB ones tend to be far more expensive than they should be. A 16GB SODIMM from Crucial costs around £95, but a laptop with 16GB instead of 8GB seems to add £100. It's milking it a bit to say the least. If there is a laptop with 8GB and is decent enough, with an option to add a SODIMM, I can do it for a lot better price.
Pulling laptops to bits is a PITA, but not rocket science. The real PITA is finding them:D

Back
Top Bottom