Laptops with upgradeable RAM?

Associate
Am I looking for Rocking Horse poo, or is there any hope?

I need to replace my laptop - nothing heavy duty but it needs to last. Previous one was a 4th gen i5 touchscreen Lenovo 15 inch 8GB RAM

Today it seems they require my arms and at least one leg to purchase a touchscreen, so I may have to ditch that idea, but I do need to be able to upgrade RAM when necessary - 16GB models seem to be stupid expensive.
I've looked at the £500 mark over on Currys which seems to be the same as everywher else, and a 13th gen i5 or the equivalent ryzen 5 seems about ok, but none of the laptops seem to have upgradeable RAM, any suggestions?
Money is tighter than a whales backside, so I looked at Currys as they do interest free credit, but my head is spinning.

Soldato
Any specific make you are looking for? There are a few places where you can easily lookup models for "upgrade" options. There is one site I normally use if I want to check something myself.

Soldato
any suggestions?

Used? XPS 15? That online high street trade-in shop will give you a 2 year warranty, some decent deals from £485-650. 8/9/10/12th Gen, some with 32GB RAM, decent GPU and a couple have the touch screen you desire. Also they are build way better than any £500 laptop you are going to get new.

Associate
OP
Thanks.
I've been looking at Acer, HP and Lenovo mostly, but that's about it.
The only way I figured out how to check for upgradable RAM was to find a model, then look for it's motherboard on ebay etc, where I can visually see whether the RAM is upgradeable.

I got a reply from Acer about a particular model, which said 'no, not upgradeable' then 'subtract the amount intalled from the maximum and that's how much you can upgrade' :rolleyes:

Soldato
Thanks.
I've been looking at Acer, HP and Lenovo mostly, but that's about it.
The only way I figured out how to check for upgradable RAM was to find a model, then look for it's motherboard on ebay etc, where I can visually see whether the RAM is upgradeable.

I got a reply from Acer about a particular model, which said 'no, not upgradeable' then 'subtract the amount intalled from the maximum and that's how much you can upgrade' :rolleyes:

Did you not check out the option above with 16GB/32GB already installed?

Soldato
Maybe check YouTube for a teardown /repair video for that particular model.. It might not be advertised but mine for example has 8gb soldered in, but a spare slot so I could throw another 8gb (or whatever) module in if I want to.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you not check out the option above with 16GB/32GB already installed?
Yes, checked them, but as I said, price is a huge factor here, which is why I am looking at Currys - they have finance options including 6/9 months interest free, and 10% interest.
The 16GB ones tend to be far more expensive than they should be. A 16GB SODIMM from Crucial costs around £95, but a laptop with 16GB instead of 8GB seems to add £100. It's milking it a bit to say the least. If there is a laptop with 8GB and is decent enough, with an option to add a SODIMM, I can do it for a lot better price.
Pulling laptops to bits is a PITA, but not rocket science. The real PITA is finding them:D

Soldato
Sorry I thought you said you have a £500 budget, and you were looking at finance if spending more than that.

What's wrong with your current machine if you are that short on cash?

Soldato
I find 8gb DDR5 is plenty for general laptop duties so I'd do what I did and get one with 8gb and a spare slot... Then you can just put another stick in at a later date, if and when you need to.

My recently bought laptop is an 11th gen i5, oled screen, 8gb and it's plenty fast enough for laptop duties.

Do a search for Asus expert books...supprisingly good specs for the money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom