Laser eye surgery

Associate
OP
How uncomfortable was the procedure? I'm not liking the idea of being awake while someone stabs me in the eye :(

Thx for that link:)

Soldato
no way, not yet.

no one knows what problems you may have in the future, think of it as a football, and shedding layers off the ball, what would happen, the inner part of the ball would push through the weakest part of the football, this is a lot of doctors theorys on the matter, have to wait and see if it does cause any serious problems in the future.

Soldato
Neon said:
no way, not yet.

no one knows what problems you may have in the future, think of it as a football, and shedding layers off the ball, what would happen, the inner part of the ball would push through the weakest part of the football, this is a lot of doctors theorys on the matter, have to wait and see if it does cause any serious problems in the future.

Good luck my eye doesnt have anything that resembles a football then apart from the shape (and even thats more like a rugby ball).

It varies how they actually perfrom the procedure, i think the most common way is the exact opposite way to the way you've described neon, the one you're describing being PRK (i think, and that being relatively old, but still a very good way in some cases of performing it).

Soldato
st00dent said:
How uncomfortable was the procedure? I'm not liking the idea of being awake while someone stabs me in the eye :(

Thx for that link:)

Wasnt bad at all...bit freaky when your eye goes all blurry then comes back into perfect focus afterwards...

You dont get stabbed, at least not these days I think..

Soldato
Neon said:
no way, not yet.

Thats the most confusing analogy ive ever heard..

a football? layers?

Suspended
I have one eye that operable and one eye that I'm pretty much blind in, unfortunatly surgery can only fix my relatively good eye anyways - I just can't take the risk in case it goes wrong, then I'll only have 15% vision left out of my already really bad eye :(

Soldato
AthlonTom said:
I have one eye that operable and one eye that I'm pretty much blind in, unfortunatly surgery can only fix my relatively good eye anyways - I just can't take the risk in case it goes wrong, then I'll only have 15% vision left out of my already really bad eye :(

I fall into this situation because of my astigmatism, and the fact i'm longsighted means it's harder to operate as well, ho-hum.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Thats the most confusing analogy ive ever heard..

a football? layers?

yeh its hard to understand in txt think of a ball and when u shave bits off it, the inside pressure pop a part of the ball outwards so it is no longer smooth if u get me? very hard to understand.

Soldato
Neon said:
yeh its hard to understand in txt think of a ball and when u shave bits off it, the inside pressure pop a part of the ball outwards so it is no longer smooth if u get me? very hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand it's just a horrible way of putting it. They don't shave the outside of the eye off anymore (well they do but i don't think PRK is performed as much nowdays), and the eye isn't under pressure like a football so its nothing like it!

They take off tiny tiny amounts at the back of your eye so the light focuses properly, well at least from the reading into i've been doing thats what i've worked out.

Associate
I had it done 2 years ago. Best money I have ever spent.

You will always get people who tell you not to have it done because the effects aren't fully known yet. I'm not in any way discounting what they say, but laser eye surgery has been used for ages now. I know a lady who had it done over 10 years ago, and she can still see. I'm not saying not to be careful though. If you don't feel comfortable with the place youa re getting it done, then don't let them do it.

I also think that it's not worth picking a place on price alone. It's not something you can afford for them to get wrong.

Associate
LeperousDust said:
They take off tiny tiny amounts at the back of your eye so the light focuses properly, well at least from the reading into i've been doing thats what i've worked out.

No they don't!!!

The laser reshapes the cornea which is the front part of the eye that effects focussing.

If they removed the back of the eye (the retina) you wouldn't be able to see!

Soldato
Had it done last year August time. Procedure is not at all painful, and like others here have said was the best money I've ever spent.

The only downside is a week of blurriness while your eyes get used to it.

No more glasses or contacts for life - quite a good investment I reckon!

Soldato
chippie said:
No they don't!!!

The laser reshapes the cornea which is the front part of the eye that effects focussing.

If they removed the back of the eye (the retina) you wouldn't be able to see!

Yeah, maybe i've been looking at the diagrams wrong then :o. I'm sure there are a few ways of doing it after reading up on this though, although i'm totally confused if i'm honest. Whats the difference between PRK and Wavefront (i know its not wavefront thats a brand name and an enhanced mapping or something, i just can't think of the name of the surgery at present).

Back
Top Bottom