=== LAST DAY Left Before VAT Rises to 17.5% ===

Soldato
OP
If I order something that is out of stock right now, I won't get charged more later, right?

Taken from our news page:

Overclockers UK would like to advise all customers that orders placed up until Midnight on the 31st of December will be at 15% VAT, even if the goods do not ship until January.

Please be aware your order must be paid for before Midnight - if the order is declined and paid for over the phone later it will be at the January 1st rate of 17.5%. Also if your order is modified on or after the 1st of January it will need to be re-invoiced at 17.5% so please make sure everything is right before ordering.

Get your orders in. :)

Associate
the 2.5% change will affect a few product by more than just 2.5%, companies don't round down any prices to .99 but only round up. so something that is £2.99 and increase by 2.5% is most likely to go up to 3.49 or 3.99 which is a lot more than 2.5%....
and on the products in the 4 or 5 digit values will increase by over £100's so making the buy now before bla is worth it on the heavy spenders.
x

Soldato
Can someone that knows numbers tell me what the price of this order will be when the VAT goes up.

2dhtc9d.jpg

Thanks.

Man of Honour
companies don't round down any prices to .99 but only round up. so something that is £2.99 and increase by 2.5% is most likely to go up to 3.49 or 3.99 which is a lot more than 2.5%....

Actually the last time VAT increased prices weren't rounded up like you suggest, I remember in Smiths Amstrad games that used to cost £1.99 were priced at £2.04, and £2.99 games went to £3.06 IIRC.

I really can't see much going up from £2.99 to £3.99, that's something like a 30% increase in price before tax. If that happens then it will because the good was underpriced to start with and they decided to increase the price.

Associate
there's nothing that I want today that I'd want tomorrow so I'm not going to be bullied into panic buying over the matter of a few pound.

most places didn't even change their prices when the vat went down and just used the excuse that there costs went up by the same percentage.

I saved about £60 when I bought my bike for just over £2600, that totals about a days wage. In short I couldn't care less about the vat :o

Associate
Did anybody actually drop prices in the first place?

Well I think the answer is No, in the main.

Something that got my back yesterday that I saw on the Beeb was 'The Centre for Economics and Business Research' (Nice job if you can get it, LOL) estimates that the VAT reduction helped us spend £7bn!!??

How on earth do they arrive at this and based on what?

Back
Top Bottom