Last.fm

Soldato
That's what I was just thinking :)

Most dance music to me is just noise and gives me a headache, leaving me feeling anxious and even annoyed :(

Put a genre on this for me please. :)

As you see, this is where the diversity springs into action, with lyrics such as these;

now i wait to take my turn to bleed like a kid playing
with a razorblade and wonder if i have the
balls at all or am i gonna be afraid where are
you? what do you think? cuz i'm not sure when
knocking at death's door if i will be welcome in
or be left alone outside

(Typed by a chav tbh)

And then, put a genre on this un-named song;

Ahhh, she looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete,
We're reaching out and to tell you,
Nothing else can touch me

Soaking through

Hold your colours against the wall,
When they take everything away,
Hold your colours against the wall

Edit: I seem to have rambled and realised that the above really doesn't convey the point I was trying to make..

Last edited:
Soldato
you shouldn't limit yourself at all. think of all the great stuff you could miss out on!

Well, he could miss out on Vanessa Carlton, Plain White T's, Avril Lavigne and Fightstar to name a few. :p

Sounds like some horrible form of industrial electronic metal :(

So, what defines the genre of a song? The lyrics, or the music?

Edit: This has religious lyrics, yet is 'Vocal Trance'. Thus one would assume it is the music that defines a genre?

More rambling for the win...

But if the music defines a genre, what does that actually make Enter Shikari? Do they give you the same feelings as 'Dance' would?

How many more genres must be created to define each new band that does something differently?

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Well, he could miss out on Vanessa Carlton, Plain White T's, Avril Lavigne and Fightstar to name a few. :p

:/ I have all of them except for 1. There's amazing music everywhere, and I really don't think that you can say "ugh, I hate dance music" or whatever - there's bound to be at least one song in every genre that you'll like. What I really can't stand is when people look down on artists because of the genre they're in. There's nothing wrong with Avril Lavigne - once the producers have finished with her songs, her voice sounds great and there's some really fun songs on most of her albums. Fightstar have 1 or 2 great tracks (but oh my god were they horrible live!) and Vanessa Carlton does a brilliant cover of Paint it Black. Can't say anything about them as I've not heard them!

edit: I think classification of music is just as subjective as a like or dislike. You base your generalisation of music on what you've already heard before. I didn't listen to that band, because I've already got music on!

Soldato
it wasn't aimed at you :) hating dance music is very popular because most people believe that it could be done by anyone with half a brain.

Typical dance can be done by someone with an IQ equal to that of a piece of tarmac.

Making it good can be done by another person with the same sized brain, but with more skill and talent.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
didn't read your post properly first time. I don't think it always takes skill to make good music - just look at all the one-hit-wonders. they must mostly be flukes with a lack of skill, but they're still good songs.

Soldato
you're equating music done by someone with a low IQ (which is hardly relevant anyway) to bad music. Why is this? Do you really think that you need a high IQ to make good music?

No. I was equating IQ to brain sizes, as per your previous post. :p

As I explained in my second line?

Pez

Pez

Soldato
didn't read your post properly first time. I don't think it always takes skill to make good music - just look at all the one-hit-wonders. they must mostly be flukes with a lack of skill, but they're still good songs.

While I mostly agree, I think it's unfair to say that skill isnt required to make good music :)

Back
Top Bottom