** LATE BUT IN FASHION: SAMSUNG G700 GAMING LAPTOP ARRIVING TOMORROW! **

Associate
I gave this a quick go this weekend but only had chance to burn a single dvd with CDBurnerXP - and it failed! Is everyone else managing to burn CDs/DVDs OK?

Just tried burning my first DVD (AVS Video convertor 8) and sucsessfully burnt a film to DVD. its the only time i think ive tried the burner, but ok here...

Ant

Associate
Hi Famitsu. I've not done much CD/DVD burning ATM, but have used Windows 7 "burn files to Disk" without any problem. Not got any 3rd party S/W on ATM. maybe someone else has tried this and can help you more?

Tony

+1 to this Genoma and famitsu1 what are you guys trying to burn?

Associate
Sorry to hear that you encountered burning problems too Genoma.
ARJulien:data discs and movie discs are what are causing me issues. Ended up getting an external writer just to try and figure out if it was the laptop's optical drive or the actual laptop itself causing the issues. The external drive works perfectly so it is the optical drive at fault. Most of the time the burns just time out at the preparing phase of the write and fail although sometimes some discs do actually burn/complete but only after a 10 mins wait for the preparing phase of the write to complete (which is a silly amount of time, it should a matter of seconds especially consider the power of the laptop).
Could this be a problem specfic to S1 version of the latop?
How about everyone's read speeds? It takes me 20+ mins to transfer 4gb's of data over from a disc to the laptop's hd. Now either the drive is riplocked (which is appalling given Samsung is selling a high performance machine here and crippling it) or I've just got a dodgy optical drive.
Outside of the drive problem I really like the machine a lot.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok sorry but I just did another test today with a data CD and a data DVD. Funny enough CDBurnerXP just updated itself too.

Both were fine, CD was written at 24x, DVD at 8x. Initial test was either a duff CD or the update for CDBurnerXP solved it.

Read speed does seem slow, about 15 minutes for 1.7GB.

Associate
Ok made the jump and bought this whilst the VAT offer still exists. I'm thinking of doing something similar to that of someone else in adding an SSD to the mix but not 100% sure yet.

Anyway I'll chuck a few words up here on my opinions once received!

Powda-Out.

Associate
Ok.. so it arrived yesterday morning.. Extremely large box left me thinking "was it a desktop I ordered?". And wow, firstly its massive, similar to that of a small planet, or the space station from start wars "thats no moon, its a samsung laptop!".

It also weighs a fair bit (although that was expected - 4K plus the power supply means I wont be lugging this around with me everwhere all the time). I unpacked the box, very well packaged and unearthed the behemoth that is the laptop. Plugged it in and switched it on. 5 minutes of pretty much autoconfiguration and i was in.

It comes with Norton Security 60 day license which I'll leave on for a bit and see the impact. I connected it to my airport extreme and wow, 300Mbit/s nice! So I play with the dial, it has 4 modes which basically automate the lighting/power settings to increase power/reduce battery life or visa versa and.. its a nice touch, pretty slick feel and great quality so far. Turn onto gaming mode and you are greeted with a little animation on the screen which in a way is supposed to depict giving the laptop full power, its a nice touch.

So. The screen. well.. awesome is all i can say about that. the picture is probably the best picture I have seen on a flat screen and I have some pretty good LCD's currently (had a 24" dell, currently have an IPS 27" hasbro which again is awesome in itself). Tried the 3D demo videos just to play and again it really shows off the capabilities of the screen, 3D isnt something I normally go for but it is definately useable and looks the business.

By this time my World of Warcraft installation had completed so time to connect it to the 27" hasbro and give it a bit of a test. It has a HDMI port so i used this and it connected first time without fail although here comes my first gripe. The card wont push 2440x resolution so I have to leave it at 1080p, also the scaling isnt great so the pixels just dont feel right and its a little distorted to be honest. Anyway I fired up wow, stuck it in ultra and ran around Org a bit.

The experience wasnt as good as I was expecting, it was slightly laggy when spinning around even with very little population residing in the capital city. also the picture on the 27" is nothing compared to my desktop which is now 4 years old (be it with an upgraded graphics card (580GT)).

The sleep option. It works surprisingly well. When you go to shut down the machine instead of logoff being the primary option it is sleep, which shuts the laptop down in about 30 seconds. Switching it on after and hey presto it comes back up in something like 5 seconds! (well done Samsung and Microsoft).

Ive now installed D3 and Sniper Elite V2 so I'll give them ago over the weekend, plus maybe run some benchmarks.

First impressions:
Quality: 9/10
Graphics: 6.5/10 (porting it to the 27" LCD)
Screen: 9.5/10
Desktop Replacement: 6/10
Performance: 7/10 (only tested with one game so far)

Soldato
Just a review I found on the internet for the Samsung Series 7 Gamer, done by what laptop July 2012. It won Editors Choice 17" gaming laptop.

2m3353s.jpg

175o2o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom