L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon

Soldato
Yesterday an all-day visit to the Science Museum and cocktails in LAB throughout the evening led to an impromptu visit by NickXX and I to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon near Charing Cross Road. This would be my second visit to L'Atelier and Nick's first. L'Atelier has two Michelin stars.

I called at 8 PM and managed to get a reservation for 11 PM. We suspected that if we arrived around 10 PM we could go to the table, and after the brief walk from Old Compton Street we were proven right, and immediately taken to our table in La Cuisine, the first floor 'table concept' area. Both Nick and I were being reasonably cost-concious, so we opted to dine a'la carte rather than the menu decouverte. We chose:

Me

La Caille
Free range quail stuffed with foie gras and truffled mashed potatoes
ladjb_caille.jpg

Le Pied De Cochon
Pig trotter served on parmesan toast
ladjb_pied.jpg

La Saint Jacques
Pan fried scallops with ricotta cheese, roman lettuce and basil

La Boule Surprise
Pistachio cream, caramelised spiced pear and vanilla ice cream from Tahiti
ladjb_surprise.jpg

Nick

La Caille
(see above for description)

Le Tourteau
Crab meat waffles with herbs
ladjb_crab.jpg

La Saint Jacques
(see above for description)

In addition, to start there's a complimentary course of foie gras, port reduction and parmesan foam, and between mains and desert there's a blood orange sorbet coated in white chocolate.

ladjb_royale.jpg

The food was really quite fantastic. Amongst the best I've tasted and as good as I remember it. Each dish is exciting, very rich and very tasteful. The service was virtually perfect, apart from a slight slip-up where the waiter forgot we had ordered the wine, a bottle of red from Cahors, but he quickly realised his mistake and brought it to us.

I almost don't know what else to say except "go there". It's a memorable dining experience of the highest quality. The total cost, including service, was £227.25, which for this tier of culinary creation is very good value indeed. A wholehearted recommendation from me!

(Photos are what I found on the Internet)

Soldato
I guess there's a certain 'London tax' levied, as the Waterside isn't that expensive and is of more acclaim.
Looks great though! How much was the taster menu? (Decorative (excuse my French)).

Soldato
OP
I guess there's a certain 'London tax' levied, as the Waterside isn't that expensive and is of more acclaim.
Looks great though! How much was the taster menu? (Decorative (excuse my French)).
Looking at the Waterside's menu it could rapidly become even more expensive - main courses are around £50 (compared to £40 for L'Atelier), sample menu is £147.50 (vs. £125) etc. But yes, one would expect some 'tax' from L'Atelier being in the West End! :p

The 'discovery' menu is £125, or £135 with the 10th course. Add £55 for matching European wines or £95 for matching French wines.

Soldato
OP
The portions are tiny! :eek:
Portions are small, yes, but it's about the flavour rather than the sustenance. Plenty of bread is provided to fill you up, and there's more than the usual number of courses so things aren't as bad as they seem. It's not like a typical restaurant where you can have just a mains. It is designed for you to have many different dishes.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;19711992 said:
I think that's exceptionally good value for a restaurant of that quality.

Must go.

I think that too after last night. The quality and service is exceptional - I am very much looking forward to going back.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;19711992 said:
I think that's exceptionally good value for a restaurant of that quality.
Indeed. I had to decide betwen L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon and The Ledbury for a meal last Friday. I chose the Ledbury and was glad that I did. Probably the best meal I've ever had.

£227 for 2 for the food without wine? Hmm, you could do the tasting menus at the ledbury or Roganic for not much more..
The Ledbury would be cheaper without wine - £95 each is £180. Bargain! :D

Soldato
OP
£227 for 2 for the food without wine? Hmm, you could do the tasting menus at the ledbury or Roganic for not much more..
The total cost, including service, was £227.25
When I said total cost, I meant the amount we paid for absolutely everything i.e. the bill inclusive of food, drinks and tip/service. The food itself came to around £70 each exclusive of service.

Soldato
You get what you pay for at proper restaurants. I wouldn't call 3 courses for £70 per person expensive though, but that's just me.

Sounds good though, but please say you didn't take those photos yourself? There's nothing worse than people taking pictures of their food in a restaurant.

Soldato
When I said total cost, I meant the amount we paid for absolutely everything i.e. the bill inclusive of food, drinks and tip/service. The food itself came to around £70 each exclusive of service.

Ah, fair enough, that's not so bad I suppose

And Justin, is it really that bad if you aren't using flash?

Soldato
OP
(Photos are what I found on the Internet)
Sounds good though, but please say you didn't take those photos yourself? There's nothing worse than people taking pictures of their food in a restaurant.
..and in the second OP-reading fail of the topic ;)

I'm not a fan of picture taking. I want to take photos but it's just not the done thing in my opinion. I would prefer to convey the image that michelin-starred restaurants are an everyday thing for me. Well, they sort of are, I'm planning another michelin-starred dinner this Thursday :p

Caporegime
The trouble with these places, whilst the food I'm sure is fantastic, is that they put too much effort into how the food looks. The first thing that leaps to mind is style over substance when seeing food like this - I fully realise I'm likely wrong.

I like good presentation but some people go over the top, especially "top" chefs because I guess once you get to a certain level your food will always be good, so you have to try something else to stand out from the crowd.

Soldato
OP
platypus it's not really a case of "too much" effort so much as that's what the expectation is. This is meant to be dining of the highest quality, and that includes the epitome of and the absolute best that can be prepared in terms of quality of ingredients, taste, texture, presentation, experience - everything. There are few cost barriers and it's more about displaying exceptional skill than factory food production. No one aspect of the dining should suffer because of another. It should all be the best work the chefs can manage!

Soldato
OP
I'd spent the entire day on my feet and had only lunch, which I didn't finish. I then drank so had the munchies and, no, I was not hungry when I left. With the food above and the bread I was quite full, but then bear in mind I weigh 8.5 stone :p

Caporegime
I consider it too much effort. My expectations are good tasting food, well presented. The best a chef can do - to me - should be about how the food tastes. I agree absolutely that the taste, ingredients, texture should be the pinnacle of what they can be, but when I get food presented to me like this (and I've eaten at plenty of Michelin starred restaurant) it turns me off.

As I said, its just not my cup of tea and I don't like it. I doubt my opinion is shared by many.

Back
Top Bottom