Latest mod - a must for other BMW owners

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Not sure why I didn't do this sooner. As in, 3 years ago, but there we go.

The standard gearknob in an E39 is of comedy proportions. It's huge and Olly has often described it as like driving an LDV van. I'm not sure I'd go quite THAT far, and the box itself is decent, but the gearknob does indeed suck.

oldknobj.jpg

So, up on Ebay it went, where it fetched a staggering 30 odd quid (I will never understand..) and off I went to the dealers to buy a new one. It's a popular 'mod' in the US where this particular gearknob was offered on the 330i ZHP package - it's shorter and better weighted so not only does it look way better it's also a far slicker change as well.

I'm amazed with the difference it has made, I did it mainly for looks but the gearchange is now SO much nicer. If you've got a crappy style gearknob in your manual BMW, rush out and get one of these. They are £47 from BMW.

zhph.jpg

:)

Man of Honour
I actually thought he was joking when he said he was going to post a thread about a new gear knob, I should have known better. Is that a thread in his carpet?

Man of Honour
OP
I actually thought he was joking when he said he was going to post a thread about a new gear knob, I should have known better. Is that a thread in his carpet?

It's a pretty simple and easy mod any of the many BMW owners on here might want to do. Just click back if it bores you :)

Associate
can I be a pain and ask for the part number? is the top of your gearstick slotted? so the knob kinda clips in? Just thinking for my e30 is all, looks good!

Associate
[TW]Fox;15327698 said:
Sure, part number is 25117896031 and the top was slotted a bit, yes.

nice one, will look good in the e30 i think, whe i get to the stage of refitting the interior!

Man of Honour
OP
Yea it's a pretty timeless design so I think it'll look good in pretty much anything. Black nappa leather as well so it fits with most interior trims.

Man of Honour
OP
You took pictures, hosted them somewhere and made a thread because you changed your gear knob. Ok.

You clicked the thread, read it, pressed reply and then typed out two sentances about something which doesn't interest you. Ok.

This is a forum about cars and I wanted to share it. Already one person has found it useful enough to ask part numbers etc for his car.

Man of Honour
Looks good Fox

Friend did similar in his Z4, the original wasn't nearly as big, but he wanted to do it for the extra weight and has commented on how much nicer gear changes are

Back
Top Bottom