Latest Windows 11 Update May Cause Games to Stutter or Have Low Performance; Offers Workaround

Associate
After updating to 2H22 I experienced this with every game I played, random stuttering that tanked performance, along with audio issues. I spent a few weeks trying to resolve, finally got so frustrated I gave up and reinstalled Win10.

Soldato
This news did the rounds about a month ago.

And about a month ago I updated to 22H2 and on my system it did indeed completely wreck performance in several games I tested. It was so bad I tried to roll back to the previous version of Windows, but this messed a few things up and I ended up restoring a full backup system image (a worthy reminder to make backups of stuff often!)

Interestingly there's not the option to update to 22H2 immediately now in my updates, but a note saying "coming soon: Windows 11 version 22H2" - which from what I understand means something on my system isn't ready for the update in its current form.

If you're not sure - don't update yet would be my advice! And only do it if it's offered in your updates section.

Last edited:
Soldato
Install W11 and disable TPM, you'll never get these huge updates just the security ones.

You can enable TPM temporarily to get an update you confirmed that is stable.

Last edited:
Associate
I did a fresh install of W11 22H2 and I’ve not had any issues with games, but I’m also running a physical TPM2.0 module which may help. At least with AMD there was a bug that caused stutters when running fTPM enabled, supposedly fixed in the latest BIOS updates.

Soldato
This is a fantastic workaround from Microsoft! Contact each of the developers of the game and ask them to update and optimize their game. Yeah I'll get right on that I just happen to have a direct line to every single game developer and publisher. On top of that they instantly read and react to my messages that I send them. Thanks!

Caporegime
So the work around is to update your games and apps that probably won't have any updates and in the majority of cases never will.

200iq workaround pushing the problem onto other people

You'd think the work around would be to disable a debugging service or something

Last edited:
Soldato
There was an issue 2-3 months ago. The question was on here then but might have been moved to the Windows subforum. Nvidia Geforce now was causing the problems but my understanding is the latest drivers fix this. I haven't updated to test though.

Soldato
I tried all the official suggested fixes for 22H2 and nothing helped. Only thing that did was reverting back to Win 11 21H2, which is pretty perfect.

I think something was wrong at a deeper level for my PC with this specific update. They'd better bloody sort it as the only reason I updated was for the full functioning Windows HDR Calibration app in this new release, that I really want to use.

Associate
No issues with a 22H2 since it was released when I had 5950x/3090 and now a 5800X3D and 4090. I have Geforce Experience installed and that's also working fine. Games are all running silky smooth and stutter free.

Back
Top Bottom