Lawnmower oils 'SAE30'?

Soldato
Hello motor people!

My little B&S classic push mower says to use SAE30 oil, but I'm not really sure what that is... I have some 15W40 oil that I use in my pug306 TD, is that any good? If not, what should I be getting?

Soldato
Dont use 2 stroke oil its not designed to burn it. If its asking for SAE30 oil then it is most likely a four stroke and requires mineral oil in the sump like a lot of aircooled engines.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Probably no help but normal tesco value car oil seems to work fine in all my 4-stroke garden machinery. Has done for years.

Caporegime
Jez said:
Probably no help but normal tesco value car oil seems to work fine in all my 4-stroke garden machinery. Has done for years.

OMG you're not running super dooper ester based fully synthetic engine oil in your mower. Let me take time to tell you why you should buy it and I also happen to sell this super dooper oil too...

Man of Honour
Soldato
SAE30 is a motor oil introduced on the market before winter and multi-grade oils were invented. SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. This society generated a grading system where higher numbers mean higher kinematic viscosity. SAE30 is the only single weight still in common use, though not usually in automobile engines.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Simon said:
OMG you not running super dooper ester based fully synthetic engine oil in your engine. Let me take time to tell you why you should buy it and I also happen to sell this super dooper oil too...

I know, i lose :( Im sure its going to blow up any moment

Soldato
Simon said:
:p

I'm not old enough :(

What are you insinuating? :D

A 10W30 is equivalent to SAE30 (at working temperature), though to be honest it'll almost certainly be quite happy on common or garden 10W40, they are hardly the pinnacle of internal combustion engine technology...

In fact the engine will probably be very happy that you can be arsed to actualy put oil in it...most owners don't seem to bother.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I saw some in B&Q for a fiver... But I was also thinking these B&S engines are pretty 'robust', and it probably doesn't mind using my 15w40 car oil, so I might just save myself the fiver...

Associate
What is even more worrying is that it uses the same sidevalve technology as jonny69's "hot vintage engine", so in essence he is using 4 B&S engines taped together so in essence he has an ubermower :p

Soldato
MarkLP said:
off topic a little, but can anyone reccomend a petrol lawnmower with a rear roller for around £150 please?

Get an old Atco cylinder mower from your local bargain paper, you sometimes find people virtualy giving them away. They are built to last forever.

One like this. Probably get that runing in no time if you clean up the poits and empty the crud out of the carb.

Soldato
OP
Stupid question here... But which way are you supposed to tilt the damn thing! I've seen things on the net that say tilt it backwards so the spark is pointing to the sky, and others that say tilt it on it's side with the air filter pointing skywards..

Then others that say never tilt it to the side!

:confused:

Soldato
MarkLP said:
off topic a little, but can anyone reccomend a petrol lawnmower with a rear roller for around £150 please?

I just got one of the B&Q specials - Mountford's - on recommendation from a guy who has many properties and muchgrass to have cut. JHe swears by them and I must admit mine is great, though it does need an oil change soon according to the manual.

Also got a great petorl strimmer at the time - rah! Mantoys!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom