LCD Burn-In?

Soldato
Hi All

I have recently noticed some "burn-in" around the edges of my ViewSonic VP201b. I was under the impression that LCD's did not suffer from this in the way that CRT's did? Its not like I leave my monitor on with the same image for any period of time, however I do use mIRC extensivly and this is what seems to be burnt in! I can clearly see the word "mIRC" in black on the top left hand side of the screen and on the right hand side i can make out the min/max/close buttons. Highly annoyed.

Can I do anything about this? What causes this? Am I wrong in thinking that LCD's dont suffer from burn-in the way CRT's do?

Might be forced to buy a 24" and use this as my secondary now... :p

Its called image persistance in LCDs. Its not the same, but the symptoms are very similar. You could try playing a video or something similar with flashing colours over the affected area for an extended period of time to try and 'knock' the mirc image away.

Thanks for the reply. I will try playing a movie or something while I am at work, or something that flashes through colours quickly. I had a program somewhere for that, pixel somethingorother. Thanks for the ideas!

ubern00b said:
Can I do anything about this? What causes this? Am I wrong in thinking that LCD's dont suffer from burn-in the way CRT's do?

I believe you can cycle the colours untill its correct again. I had to do this on my sharp 20" lcd. It got the insert input screen message stuck on the screen and I thought it was doomed. Sharp told me to just watch TV for ages, so I used a pixel cycler instead and left it running for several hours.

All sorted now. I can't think why yours wouldn't be the same.

I had the same problem with the same model as your's (strangely enough it was mIRC aswell) and I can confirm the dead pixel tester or a fullscreen movie will get rid of it in 3-4 hours.

Good luck :)

Awesome thanks for all the replys. I shall try that dead pixel tester tonight and hopefully by the morning, its gone!

Edit: Any recomended settings for DPT? Should I set it to a solid pattern and cycle through the colours as quick as possible or every 500ms or something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom