LCD Burn-In?

Soldato
Hi All

I have recently noticed some "burn-in" around the edges of my ViewSonic VP201b. I was under the impression that LCD's did not suffer from this in the way that CRT's did? Its not like I leave my monitor on with the same image for any period of time, however I do use mIRC extensivly and this is what seems to be burnt in! I can clearly see the word "mIRC" in black on the top left hand side of the screen and on the right hand side i can make out the min/max/close buttons. Highly annoyed.

Can I do anything about this? What causes this? Am I wrong in thinking that LCD's dont suffer from burn-in the way CRT's do?

Might be forced to buy a 24" and use this as my secondary now... :p

Soldato
Its called image persistance in LCDs. Its not the same, but the symptoms are very similar. You could try playing a video or something similar with flashing colours over the affected area for an extended period of time to try and 'knock' the mirc image away.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply. I will try playing a movie or something while I am at work, or something that flashes through colours quickly. I had a program somewhere for that, pixel somethingorother. Thanks for the ideas!

Soldato
ubern00b said:
Can I do anything about this? What causes this? Am I wrong in thinking that LCD's dont suffer from burn-in the way CRT's do?

I believe you can cycle the colours untill its correct again. I had to do this on my sharp 20" lcd. It got the insert input screen message stuck on the screen and I thought it was doomed. Sharp told me to just watch TV for ages, so I used a pixel cycler instead and left it running for several hours.

All sorted now. I can't think why yours wouldn't be the same.

Associate
I had the same problem with the same model as your's (strangely enough it was mIRC aswell) and I can confirm the dead pixel tester or a fullscreen movie will get rid of it in 3-4 hours.

Good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Awesome thanks for all the replys. I shall try that dead pixel tester tonight and hopefully by the morning, its gone!

Edit: Any recomended settings for DPT? Should I set it to a solid pattern and cycle through the colours as quick as possible or every 500ms or something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom