*** League of Legends ***

Soldato
i picked up Ryze as an alternate to Ashe, which i really liked but now Ryze is so much better for a noob to get to grips with and actually provide some decent burst/util.
im still having the odd game as poppy though :cool:

i had my first real lol moment earlier too, we started a match and one player was really in a weird spot and the whole team, not me as i didnt really know, were throwing abuse at him calling him noob etc etc, he replies with 'ill get first kill np' and they all laugh again. shortly after he's up 3 kills and theyre all changing their tune :p

Soldato
I think the best/easiest character for a new player is probably tristana (who you can get for free from facebook)
https://euw.leagueoflegends.com/facebook

also if u want a free tanky style char u can get alistar for subscribing on youtube
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/news/subscribe-riot-games-youtube-get-unchained-alistar

many thanks for that, i had tristana but ill use alistar for a trial game too.
is there any other free champs i can pick up?

Haha, my gf just text me to say she is out for drinks tonight, and I am free to enjoy a night of "An enemy has been slain!" :D

haha :D

Associate
Been playing a bit with Kayle recently, nice mix of support and damage, really like him.

Poor Kayle, her ample bosoms bound in armour for the greater justice and she must suffer the insult of being called a boy :(

She's a nice champion though. Heals, invulnerability Ulti and some serious armour and magic penetration going on, can certainly save a champ and take down a tank with her help.

Associate
Tals, what kind of items do you use on Sona? I bought her recently purely as an understand the enemy thing since she always seems to outlane Kayle badly. However in any games I've played, I'm woefully low on mana and her heals seem to hit for next to nothing... Just not seeing what I've been playing against when I'm at the reigns lol

I'm picking up GP10 items and getting mana of the philosophers stone and sometimes a meki pendant too early on, but even with a full set of blue mana runes it's still low.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kayle, is a strong AD carry with a lot of practice but dont lane vs Kog.

Sona, start with the little mana per 5 thing, 3 wards and 2 mana pots. Then make a philo, if you can afford grab a ruby crystal, make that in to a heart of gold later, then get the dagger thing, thats youre gp5 items set.
Then think about whether you need more mana (mp5+cdr items) or hitpoints (hp+cdr items), build for either auras or spamming your abilities.

Soldato
OP
Tals, what kind of items do you use on Sona? I bought her recently purely as an understand the enemy thing since she always seems to outlane Kayle badly. However in any games I've played, I'm woefully low on mana and her heals seem to hit for next to nothing... Just not seeing what I've been playing against when I'm at the reigns lol

I'm picking up GP10 items and getting mana of the philosophers stone and sometimes a meki pendant too early on, but even with a full set of blue mana runes it's still low.

I go pure support, buy 4 wards straight off + mana regen, move it into philo stone then depending on how the game is going, aegis of legio, frozen heart, boots along the way and sometimes get Mejai's if the game is going well as she gets masses of assists. But that's pure support with the team.

Caporegime
I got rinsed on the bottom lane in Dominion last night.

I usually play Cass really well there, but as it turns out, Talon is a hard-counter to her, I got WTFpwned. 6/16/8

Tried Veigar on the free rotation, took me a while to get the hang of his stun AOE combo, but last-hitting with his Q saw me have over 600 AP at the end of the game :D

Soldato

Runes, i go magic pen reds, mana regen yellows and cd blue. Masteries fully in the utility tree because she needs the mana buffs. Items i go:

Meki pendant x 2 + 2 wards (gold mastery)
On first buy, sell one meki pendant and build philo stone, buy wards with change
Second buy, boots and tear
Third buy, giants belt,
Fourth buy, CD boots,
Fifth buy, Warmogs
Sixth buy, Archangles

The tear will sort out your mana problems, but if there is a chance of getting a blue buff DO IT. Infinite mana plus cdr on sona is ace.

Some noobs flame for the warmogs, ignore them. Without it, you are too squishy and a proper team will focus you to death. It allows you to survive in fights spamming heal far longer than you should be able to.

The massive secret to support sona, which i did not realise for ages, is the power of her Q aura, which adds a nice but of ad to your ad carry. Even if your spamming heals to top up the ad carry, try to make sure you have the q aura active on them which will help their cs and harass.

Next to that, Q for powerchord and an AA can be a significant chunk of damage.

Associate
Must just be me then, I've tried most, if not all of those suggestions and she just doesn't seem to have the oomph. Heals seem small and I can't spam because of the mana thing. Just seems weird because I've not had mana issues on Kayle for a long time.
Thinking about it though, it could just be overconfident lane partners. I've been paired up with a couple of silly people in the last few matches and I'm having to heal more than I probably should, so maybe that's just what's draining her so bad.
Not a big deal anyhow, I've just had issues laning against Sona on a few occasions because she seems to keep things very under control, so I went with my usual tactic of trying to learn the abilities and builds of anyone I find hard to counter :) Will probably stick to Kayle and leave Sona for the pros lol

Soldato
Must just be me then, I've tried most, if not all of those suggestions and she just doesn't seem to have the oomph. Heals seem small and I can't spam because of the mana thing. Just seems weird because I've not had mana issues on Kayle for a long time.
Thinking about it though, it could just be overconfident lane partners. I've been paired up with a couple of silly people in the last few matches and I'm having to heal more than I probably should, so maybe that's just what's draining her so bad.
Not a big deal anyhow, I've just had issues laning against Sona on a few occasions because she seems to keep things very under control, so I went with my usual tactic of trying to learn the abilities and builds of anyone I find hard to counter :) Will probably stick to Kayle and leave Sona for the pros lol

Sona is really easy to play to be honest. It's all about zoning and threatening with your Q power chord. Assuming you're doing the standard ranged AD carry + support vs the same thing, a Q followed by a Q power chord will definitely take off half of the enemy carry's health.

You just sit in the bush and wait for any opportunity to Q the support or the carry. Sona + Caitlyn is one of the strongest and easiest lanes to win if the Caitlyn is any good. You should only put 2 points in W and max Q first - you're looking to harass as much as possible with Q, taking most of the damage instead of your carry. It's important to start with health pots on Sona for this reason. You want to start with the mana regen item part of the philo stone, 3 wards and 3 health pots.

Soldato
OP
Personally I wouldn't worry about the health pots too much, first one before I get my w but generally the w is more than sufficient to look after you and 4 wards at the start is huge.

Interesting re Warmogs, I still think Aegis and frozen heart are more supportcentric but I get your point.

IMHO Sona is great early game for poking the opponent with a q followed by the chord - load of damage right there - love it when they have no health sustain on their support

Back
Top Bottom