Leak between shower seal and hinge

OcUK Staff
I've installed a new shower seal because it was leaking and I've applied it only now to realise there's a gap between the seal and where the hinge is. As seen in the photos below.

I am not DIY-savvy, but I was wondering if this is something I can fix myself, and if so what do I need to do? I see the silicone around it is wearing away so I may try and pull that back and reapply it. But there's a big gap where the rounded part of the hinge is which seems like a design flaw.

XX0A0Xq.jpg

iO2d8pu.jpg

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Associate
You can reduce the length of the bottom part so that it doesn't bend so much against the top of the bath using a pair of scissors.

I have the same problem after recently doing my bathroom. It's a PITA the get spot on.

OcUK Staff
OP
You can reduce the length of the bottom part so that it doesn't bend so much against the top of the bath using a pair of scissors.

I have the same problem after recently doing my bathroom. It's a PITA the get spot on.

Mmmm this is a good idea actually. I shall give this a go, and I have ordered one a bit longer so if I screw up it's not the end of the world. :)

Associate
I'd do a thick bead of silcon inside and outside that wiper blade to hold it in place and then fill that gap that it can seemingly run through with silicon, would certainly look the part alongside the existing silicon!
Tec7 in b&q is pretty good stuff, i used to to repair a crack in fish tank, so it's good underwater.

Soldato
There seems to be something missing from the bottom of your door. I have a plastic chrome cap which fits around the hinged section and Inserts into the bottom seal... No leaks.

I'll try and upload a pic.

Soldato
Yep you can see where the chrome cap used to be and the previous bodge attempts by others.

a never ending splodge of sealant might sort it for a while but ultimately a new door and fixing is the most effective method here sadly

OcUK Staff
OP
Mmmmm, maybe it is worth just getting a new door, I'll probably have to pay for someone to install it, as it's something I'd likely mess up! :D

Sounds silly, but would it be a plumber or just a general handy man person who would install something like this?

Caporegime
My google-fu seems to suggest the missing part is a "Shower door Pivot Bracket" but I could be wrong.

Plumber I'd imagine is preferable to a handyman who may have no more experience of shower doors than you do.

just text some plumbers it's probably a 10minute job either way

Soldato
I should add. The hinge cover has a felt like section (similar looking to a filter tip from a cigarette) at the bottom corner where it meets the frame and sits on the bath edge... It's likely this swells when it gets wet to seal it better.

Associate
There are some good suggestions above however something else I do when fitting seals like this is to cut the seal so the blade part extends a little beyond the section that grips the glass/panel. The blade is quite flexible so where the seal design permits its worth leaving some of the stronger top gripper piece trimmed so only the inner part remains, i.e. remove outer and bottom sides of the U shape.

If the seal blade part isn't folded too much then this small overlap greatly reduces the amount of water that can get past especially with silicone in the right places next to it.

Tea Drinker
Don
Chop back the rectangular bit and leave the flappy bit.

Reseal it all with CT1. Don’t seal the inside otherwise it’ll trap water and rot everything. Just the outside.

New are pretty simple to install but you’ll want someone that can drill tiles without breaking them and apply mastic (CT1) nicely.

Back
Top Bottom