Learn to build Android/iOS apps

Soldato
Just fire in. Download Android studio and all the java dependencies and start working on the GUI aspects. Designing is at least half the battle, most apps are pretty simple but getting it all nice looking and bug free is the tough part. It's a bit like building web pages.

Soldato
I built my own recently. With only front end dev knowledge and average Javascript skills. I made it originally in Cordova, as it's HTML based. I found the packages a nightmare to get working in most cases and a lot of stuff seem to be no longer supported.

I then remade the app in Flutter using Android Studio. If you don't have a mac your going to struggle to release an iOS version as mac are ***** as you'd expect and make xCode not work on windows.
I found flutter to be an easy learning curve initially and could easily make a basic app. It gets quite a bit harder after that, but the software is supported by Google has lots of documentation and tutorials.

I would recommend Flutter.

Associate
I would recommend you to enter some full-time course. Because self-study is good, but if you don't have a clue about the coding, you will only get frustrated. I once tried to learn C++ and quit very quickly. So perhaps Android programming is really not for me.

Associate
Evening all.

I already know Java, but can anyone suggest to me some ideas how I can start getting into this as a hobby?
If you have never built an android app:
https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp

It's in Kotlin but don't get hung up on the language part.

Ray Wenderlich is a decent website for tutorials too, this video series looks very thorough though might be boring if you're comfortable with general programming.
https://www.raywenderlich.com/4936497-your-first-kotlin-android-app

If you want a large deep dive into all the different features in modern android via doing practical examples, check out the book, Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. It's very thorough and it's what helped me transition from a Java developer to Android developer.

Back
Top Bottom