Learning about the basics of Ryzen CPU and memory OC - is this right so far?

Associate
Here's a few things I've read, and want to paraphrase to check my understanding.

First - understanding some of the acronyms and terminology:

XFR2 - eXtended Frequency Range 2 - the tech in Zen+ chips that allows a small bump (50-100Mhz) if there's enough temperature margin.

PB2 - Precision Boost 2 - again the update to PB in Zen+. Allows automatically boosting core frequencies if fewer cores are running, to improve single or low-core-count tasks performance. In a Ryzen 2700X that means going from base of 3.7GHz to 4.3 GHz. The '2' in PB 2 I think means it has a smoother frequency bump / core count spread.

XMP - eXtreme Memory Profile - this is essentially reading SPD info set by manufacturers, to go over the base memory frequency. For the Corsair Vengeance 3200 CL 16 (2x16) I have, that means just turning on 'Profile 2', and the BIOS does the rest.

AIO - 'All-in-one' - IMO should probably be called 'AIO Cooler' or 'AIOC'. Anyway, just means a liquid cooling system for just the CPU, that comes as one unit. As opposed to a 'custom loop'.

Second - some questions

1) I enabled 3200MHz on my Corsair Vengeance 3200 CL 16 (2x16) by setting 'Profile 2' in my MSI 450i Carbon bios. That seems to work, and is stable. What I don't understand though is why that make the CPU fan increase? I thought multipliers were independent?

2) Is it correct to say that, unless one wants to play the benchmark game, the best you can do with Ryzen Zen+ chips is to enable XMP, and install the best cooling you can. Then PB2 will do the CPU 'overclocking' for you to maximise use of the temperature space you've given it?

3) Although '4.3GHz' is listed as the Ryzen 2700X max boost, in a real world scenario you're unlikely to see it, as it really would be the situation just one core is being heavily used, but the others hardly at all.

Back
Top Bottom