learning advice

Associate
Hi,

Having come from a networking/scripting background, I have just completed an on line diploma in C programming language, as a step back into scripting. However there are so many courses out there I don't want to stop now.

I want to carry on, but I don't know which course to do next, and which one would consolidate my last course. Should I just go for C++ next or should I go for something different like SQL or Python.

Any budding programmers out there got any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Associate
What you do next will completely depend on your goal. Do you want to get a programming job or do you just want to get some additional skills that would help in a networking/IT role? Or are you just interested as a hobby?

Soldato
Should you learn C++ or SQL?

Kinda depends if you want to learn a fairly low level OO language, or a database query language......

Associate
OP
What you do next will completely depend on your goal. Do you want to get a programming job or do you just want to get some additional skills that would help in a networking/IT role? Or are you just interested as a hobby?
I used to have a Networking roll but got made redundant... Would obviously like to learn as much as possible, and maybe work in this field again, but for now I just want to lean for myself. I feel though, I have only just scratched the surface of 'C', and would like to move on. Do yo think C++ would advance what I have learnt already, or is ++ completely different?

Associate
As someone who learnt c and now uses both c and c++, I would say it's a good next step.

It's not different really. More of an addition, hence the name :p. Sure there is a lot on top of c with c++ but going to c first, then c++ imo is a good route. Good to have appreciation and understanding of the old ways.

It's a great language. Very flexible and great performance wise. Wide scope of application. The c++11 additions are very nice as well. Quality of life improvements indeed.

Python will be no problem at all if you know c++ later.

Last edited:
Soldato
What type of programming do you want to do? If you're interested in desktop/web application development, you're probably better off with a higher level language like Java/C#, or *spit* Javascript.

C/C++ are more niche these days, embedded systems, game development etc.

That said, having a solid understanding of a low level language like C and managing your own memory and pointers is always going to be useful.

Caporegime
might be worth looking at doing some projects too either now or once you've picked up some basics in another language, python or C++ etc..

Associate
OP
while taking all your advice in hand, I have been looking at C# developer jobs, and wondered what kind of work they normally are. A typical day for instance

Associate
while taking all your advice in hand, I have been looking at C# developer jobs, and wondered what kind of work they normally are. A typical day for instance

• Get in to work
  • Make brew
  • Look if anything pressing has come up from the overnight processes / from the US after I left
  • Read OCUK fourms
  • Read rest of internet
  • Look at the day's work
  • Daily team scrum
  • Do some work
  • Lunch
  • Do some more work
  • Go home

The "Do some work" bit could encompass anything from meetings to discuss projects, looking at requirements, making changes to the legacy applications, making sure things (eg infrastructure) are in place for coming releases, etc., and sometimes even writing some code.

Back
Top Bottom