Soldato
I've just booked my theory test. Are there any good resources anyone can recommend? I've found the hazard perception to be trickiest because they don't really explain when you should be clicking. The questions are common sense for a lot of them so I don't struggle with that at all.

I was quite close to failing the hazard perception on my car theory 5 or 6 years ago.

Get the theory out the way and then I'm booked on to a CBT course which the instructor said would enable him to create a lesson plan which will work on any weak points I may have in preparation for the DAS.

IIRC I used the AA theory test motorcycle app on my phone so I could practice at lunch at work and then the driving test success for hazard perception on PC.

Man of Honour
OP
I've just booked my theory test. Are there any good resources anyone can recommend? I've found the hazard perception to be trickiest because they don't really explain when you should be clicking. The questions are common sense for a lot of them so I don't struggle with that at all.

I was quite close to failing the hazard perception on my car theory 5 or 6 years ago.

Get the theory out the way and then I'm booked on to a CBT course which the instructor said would enable him to create a lesson plan which will work on any weak points I may have in preparation for the DAS.

I used this and scored 96% in my theory and hazard perception test: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1843265710

One

One

Soldato
Thanks for the links, I've gone with the cam rider app, they have a dsa license so it's all official questions, also has hazard perception, I think it should be enough to get me a pass and I can use it during my lunch break!

Associate
Thanks for the links, I've gone with the cam rider app, they have a dsa license so it's all official questions, also has hazard perception, I think it should be enough to get me a pass and I can use it during my lunch break!
Use the coach mode (or whatever they call it). It just takes you through random questions and focuses on areas you struggle on once it starts to learn how well you're doing.

One

One

Soldato
Use the coach mode (or whatever they call it). It just takes you through random questions and focuses on areas you struggle on once it starts to learn how well you're doing.

Thanks, seems to be the most comprehensive way of doing it, I also get to review the question then and there in case I do pick the wrong answer!

Decided to also buy the PC CD recommended by Kreeeee. While the app is good there is only 33 hazard videos. As the hazard part is the bit most people fail on I figure that's where I should get most practice, the CD has over 100 videos to practice on. For a tenner it seems silly not to give it a go.

One

One

Soldato
Sorry to keep hijacking your thread Kreeeee but I've just been playing about with the PC DVD you recommended and did a mock hazard test - 72 out of 75. Not bad even if I do say so myself :p Time to keep practising I suppose.

Man of Honour
OP
Three minors:

1 - Took longer than I should to cancel my indicators, first time ever making that mistake!

2 - On the very first corner I pulled out too eagerly in front of another car, but corrected the mistake and got up to speed before they caught up so it was only a minor. I was so nervous at this stage of the test.

3 - Indicated right on a straight ahead for a roundabout and ended up going all the way around to be safe. I heard him say straight ahead clearly but I went to the right lane and thought it's better to safely do what he hadn't told me to do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well done! Minor #3 - so is it a fault to 'misunderstand / fail to hear', because it sounds like he could have interpreted your actions as that. I know you heard him and made a mistake (though I reckon you did the right thing in carrying on round once in the right hand lane), but how did he know that?

One

One

Soldato
Three minors:

1 - Took longer than I should to cancel my indicators, first time ever making that mistake!

2 - On the very first corner I pulled out too eagerly in front of another car, but corrected the mistake and got up to speed before they caught up so it was only a minor. I was so nervous at this stage of the test.

3 - Indicated right on a straight ahead for a roundabout and ended up going all the way around to be safe. I heard him say straight ahead clearly but I went to the right lane and thought it's better to safely do what he hadn't told me to do.

3 minors is pretty good, I bet your're quite chuffed right about now!

1 seems a bit picky, do you remember doing this?

2 sounds like you were quite lucky not to get the major!

3 is a pretty smart thing to do and good on you for keeping cool under pressure.

Man of Honour
OP
Well done! Minor #3 - so is it a fault to 'misunderstand / fail to hear', because it sounds like he could have interpreted your actions as that. I know you heard him and made a mistake (though I reckon you did the right thing in carrying on round once in the right hand lane), but how did he know that?

I think it went down as a lane discipline minor.

3 minors is pretty good, I bet your're quite chuffed right about now!

1 seems a bit picky, do you remember doing this?

2 sounds like you were quite lucky not to get the major!

3 is a pretty smart thing to do and good on you for keeping cool under pressure.

For minor #1 he pretty much did me a favour because I noticed and cancelled eventually, and it was again near the start of the ride. He said he kept an eye out for it again and would have failed me on it if I repeated the issue.

For #2, it was a slow moving line of traffic (~15-17mph) and it was the only gap as far as I could see (something like 35 ish cars) and I just panicked to be honest.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lane discipline? But you said you were in the right lane for the turn you made?

One - #1 is not picky. If someone sees you indicating, they might assume you're going to turn into a junction and pull out. Therefore not cancelling your indicator in time is clearly unsafe.

One

One

Soldato
One - #1 is not picky. If someone sees you indicating, they might assume you're going to turn into a junction and pull out. Therefore not cancelling your indicator in time is clearly unsafe.

I get that if you leave it on it's probably a major, I've seen plenty of bikers leave it on and always worry someone might pull out on them but there's not a lot can be done if it's been left on and forgotten. However from Kreeeee's description I thought maybe he just left it on for 10 or 20 seconds too long then turned it off, IDK though.

Obviously the examiners understand the stresses involved with a test and want to be as lenient as they can. I suppose bike examiners don't have the ability to tick the 'major' box on the test sheet until they get back to the test centre which gives them a bit of time to make their mind up.

Man of Honour
OP
Lane discipline? But you said you were in the right lane for the turn you made?

I think he made the assumption that I couldn't get into the correct lane in time to go straight ahead, rather than just ignored what he said and "suddenly remembered" it mid-way round the roundabout.

I had passed so didn't raise that point!

I get that if you leave it on it's probably a major, I've seen plenty of bikers leave it on and always worry someone might pull out on them but there's not a lot can be done if it's been left on and forgotten. However from Kreeeee's description I thought maybe he just left it on for 10 or 20 seconds too long then turned it off, IDK though.

Yes I noticed and turned it off before it was a major fault, but it was borderline.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I was completely bricking it.

We were late to the test as the other learner got separated from our group on the way to the test centre which didn't help my nerves!

Edit: Also today was my first time riding in the rain... that's certainly an eye opener!

Edit 2: the pinlock was a life saver, the chap I was with had so much hassle with his visor misting up while I had no issues, even with my glasses.

I forgot I had these issues with the Mod 1.

I had similar luck with my Mod 2 as a stone blocked the cooling fan and the motor burnt out, so I had to do the test on a spare bike which had pretty worn brakes, bent clutch and what I can only describe as a loose/slack throttle.

That spare bike is being done up this weekend, not that it affects me now :p

Back
Top Bottom