Leathery Advice needed

Soldato
The armour is on the outside (titanium plates etc) to stop your leather from gripping and flipping you about, they are designed to help slide you along the floor, and not let your arms and legs get ripped in different directions :p
Sliders, yes but we're talking about pressure suits. have you been on the bottle again?? :D

Soldato
No just been a long day :( :p

But I was more replying to your question above I would say its a safety thing as much as looks, I know some don't like the looks but the Armour on the outside is fixed to the suit, where as the Armour inside still moves around on impact and just general wear and tear, I guess with it on the outside you are guaranteed a better fit and the suit will move less in an accident?

Where I think the pressure suits are good too as they are strapped or held to you with stretchy bits so offer better protection than just armour popped into some mesh.
If I had a pressure suit I would want to show it off so would wear a perforated mx shirt :p and a textile over the top in winter/rain :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats this a competition? :D

More feels long because I started back at the gym last night first time since my op so knackered and aching from that then today southern electric has gone pop in Winchester and our office building has either had no power or power to half all day, so lots of up and down flights of stairs, moving equipment, extensions etc... moan moan lol would be fine if I had not been to the gym :p

On a side not that super shield link you posted looks good!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It is one of the only designs I can find (other than the Held one on the same site) that has the amour that is integrated closer into the mesh

HOWEVER, the back protector (only level 1) and chest protectors (2 pieces as opposed to SixSixOne single piece) are not as good as they could be

I'll post some pics to AStars, Dainese, Fox etc stuff at some point when I have time and am not at work (possible tomorrow morning if I don't need to come into work)

And yes it is a competition, I've worked 9-5 yesterday, and then did 6:30-10:30 doing group engine design. Doing the same today, not sure if I need to be in at work tomorrow but still doing 6:30-10:30 design tomorrow. And then again all day Sat :(

Soldato
OP
Well .. finally an end to another very long day \p/

Now to stick a load of armour pics here as much for discussion as it is for my own reference down the line when I go to check them out

661 Comp 2010
ka4782.png
33c8wti.png

661 Vapor
28rms1h.jpg
34rdv1k.jpg

IXS Assault
vff97q.png
301oiup.png

Brand-X X Suit
2nb7fnt.png
2mbn7q.png

661 Vapor 2011
2yodb3d.png
2ed81tu.png

Speed Stuff Warrior Pro 2010
2r6pq3d.jpg
efifqq.jpg

IXS Battle Evo
11tsdmq.jpg
b5i4r7.jpg

Thor Impact Rig SE
j60715.jpg
289ztbo.png

RockGardn Flak 2011
adi39c.png
23kys0n.png

Dainese Performance
30j7e4o.jpg
34q7ivm.jpg

AlpineStars Bionic
2ajc8id.png
efmq95.png

661 Pro 2009
6glf7k.jpg
fm3w5g.jpg

No Fear Blok 2011
kdla55.jpg
219z61t.jpg

661 Comp 2011
14kh9xy.png

EVS
fxtjyx.jpg
ng7kp.jpg

Dainese Racing
16ie044.jpg
verqjl.jpg

AlpineStars Bionic 2
oaabut.png
2ntldo1.png

OR

5lq891.png

Troy Lee
15rntd3.jpg
15hhefs.jpg

Super Shield
2cftsb8.png
rhmumx.png

Held Striker
11kcoq1.png
2z4mxi8.png

Sette Impact
t9a91l.png
2jcepuf.jpg

s640bd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Heh, I got a few more pics and stuff to stick into that post if I ever find time

Basically putting pics of anything that looks half decent, so that I have a nice complete list somewhere to decide

Soldato
I find body armour like that unbearably hot, uncomfortable, scratchy, and it's a huge pain to put on. Look at how many straps are on all those suits, they take ages to get into and even longer again to get them halfway comfortable and they feel like you're being boiled alive in all weathers.

All imo obviously.

Soldato
OP
Entirely depends on the suit surely

For instance, that Shield suit looks pretty easy to get into .. no different to a leather jacket
And it also has more mesh than other stuff

The issue with it is that it does not have the best armour possible, and has no rib protection and the chest piece is 2 piece.

But I may just go for it as it looks the least Crysis like, and the protection should be enough

Soldato
I've not been impressed by the 661 Evo suit (2011): The meterials are good but the design lets it down so badly, it's going to be sent back. There's not much good to be said about it and it's all to do with the design.

:(

Soldato
OP
To me the Comp and Vapor always looked much better than the Evo one

Another three things to add to the above list are

Forcefield Action Shirt & Forcefield Back protector
jjwfoo.jpg
s6hswn.png

Knox Cross Shirt
2rysqhv.png
122eqvn.png

Zac Speed Exotec Jacket
25gqoap.png
nffbxt.png

with
fx81fc.png
6p4y76.png

This has back armour and a hydration pack in the backpack

Realistically though I'm looking at either the Held Striker or the Super Shield. The Held item is out of production now afaik though, but it does offer rib protection unlike Super Shield.

Forcefield stuff while great, is bloody expensive.

Zac Speed setup is cool, but expensive and far more than I need

Last edited:
Soldato
Yer the FF ain't cheap but in past tests, very effective.. There's a link to the 2008 MCN tests (pdf file) in the first post of my body armour thread.

Also if you check video.google you'll often find reviews of the well known suits, they are handy to see what the stuff is like when fitted..
For example:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sportbiketrackgear

Soldato
OP
Oh no doubt FF stuff is good, but £200 for that whole setup is A LOT, and it has no rib protection.

Then again, the Held Striker is £170 ...

Though the Super Shield thing is only £100.

Most of the large armoured stuff (other than the ones where you are paying for the brand name such as AStars and Dainese) are not THAT expensive

Think I'm defiantly simply going for the Super Shield for now, assuming it fits me OK when I finally get a chance to go and try it on.

Back
Top Bottom