Leaving a technical role

Associate
How many of you here have left a technical role in IT onto something else and how have you found the transition?
I've moved from a sysadmin into a Technical Architect role and I'm finding it a struggle to say the least. I feel like I miss the hands on approach and I generally like fixing things!

Anyone made a similar move and did you stick with it or return back to being hands on?

Soldato
I made a similar move a few months ago, from a database development role to one where I devise our data strategies instead (I feel like a bit of a **** just typing that...). I miss the hands on approach as well, but when it comes to the money side of things there's only so far you can go in a purely technical role and I'd reached the limit of what I could earn without getting into freelancing.

Thinking about the bigger picture is nice, instead of constantly having to fight fires. I'm not sure I could go back to being 'just' a developer again.

Soldato
I'm two months into a job change from Technical Manager to Solution Architect (both working for resellers). I'm really enjoying it at the moment as it was the support side of my previous role that was driving me up the wall. Also working with bigger customers and environments which is good. Customers who are the S of SME was also getting a bit boring.

Whilst I'm not installing anything, there's lot of product knowledge to pickup to be able to match functionality against customer requirements and also be able to provide demos.

Man of Honour
My experience is pretty limited but I really burnt out in a more technical role due to the sheer amount of ongoing learning - reading up on latest developments, going to courses, etc. so as to stay current and on top of things. I guess some people thrive on the challenges of that and building up their knowledge though. So personally was pretty happy to move on to something else.

Soldato
I've moved from the Helpdesk to IT Security Analyst. Enjoying it so far! Was completely bored of helpdesk 1st/2nd line after doing it for nearly 10 years

Soldato
The key thing is to stay relevant in the industry in general and be aware of how things develop. This does not mean passing numerous IT exams but just making sure you are always in the best position you can be.

I have been in a technical architect role and now more project / program management based which I prefer as I am not a "flashing lights" technical person and prefer the management side a lot more.

Its what suits you and also gives the lifestyle you want outside work that matters.

Associate
It's been about 3 1/2 years now since I've moved on from a technical position into a more managerial role (business administration) and I'm glad I took this path. I still oversee the IT provisions at my workplace and line manage 3 technicians and do at times get involved on the technical side of things. That might explain why I'm happy as I can essentially have as much hands on approach as required, but in truth I lost interest years ago doing the technical work day in day out. It was probably one of the main reasons why I changed careers.

Soldato
How many of you here have left a technical role in IT onto something else and how have you found the transition?
I've moved from a sysadmin into a Technical Architect role and I'm finding it a struggle to say the least. I feel like I miss the hands on approach and I generally like fixing things!

Anyone made a similar move and did you stick with it or return back to being hands on?

How long have you been in your tech arch role?

I jumped from helpdesk (I was the IT dept for 400 users) to a SQl/analyst role and I've been here 8 months, barely scratched the surface.

There are entire weeks where I feel like quitting and finding something easier, but I push through and then I get good weeks where everything feels easy. The quitting weeks are getting less but not a week goes by where i'm asked to do something I've not done. People here say you never know it all and they've been here 4+ years.

Associate
I've not done. People here say you never know it all and they've been here 4+ years.
The more you know, the more you realise you don't know. Those that think they know it all haven't got a clue.

Personally I've from extremely technical, to extremely technical working from home 3-4 days a week. The day in the office is the one I get the least technical stuff done and sometimes go a the whole day without reaching my desk, instead bouncing round the rest of the office working with people at their desks.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I was a developer for years, then moved to a management role, hated it! Went back to Dev as a technical expert but have recently move to a Business analyst role. All while contracting to the same bank over the last 10 years.

Management was the worst for me, so many ass lickers and adults behaving like children. I missed the techy side of things, problem solving and just dealing with code rather than people. BA is a bit of a mix of both, but I am missing Dev work, although it's not too bad.

Stick it out for a bit and see if it gets better :)

Soldato
I’m in a similar position whereby I was technical lead for all of IT (Senior sys admin) and reported to my manager. The powers that be have now moved my manager of 17 years into a side role and promoted me to manager. I’ve now been told I can expand the team but I’ve always enjoyed a non managerial role so I’m a bit anxious.

The role comes with a pay rise and officially starts Tuesday!

Soldato
I’ve moved from technical to technical leadership (infra architect) to owning the function in the context of a global financial services company. I’m director level and have infra architects on 3 continents reporting to me.

No hands on, don’t miss it. I just try to be the boss I always wanted and it seems to be working. Vastly more challenging role than being an individual contributor.

Associate
I’m in a similar position whereby I was technical lead for all of IT (Senior sys admin) and reported to my manager. The powers that be have now moved my manager of 17 years into a side role and promoted me to manager. I’ve now been told I can expand the team but I’ve always enjoyed a non managerial role so I’m a bit anxious.

The role comes with a pay rise and officially starts Tuesday!
Be careful when hiring. If someone doesn't take on board what you tell them in an interview they'll carry on like that if they get the job.

Man of Honour
Summary of my experiences in management compared to a more technical role:

The good:
+More scope to influence decision making / tackle problems rather than having to execute the decisions of others that I may or may not agree with
+Have found working with new/junior staff much more enjoyable than I anticipated; I really enjoy seeing them develop, mentoring and looking for opportunities of how they can grow in the organisation
+Much bigger support network than I was expecting, several peers to bounce ideas off etc
+Fewer complex, time-consuming technical issues that I'm responsible for (I may be accountable but at least I don't have to execute them myself)
+More people I can delegate work to
+Being able to define priorities for the team

The less good:
-Mediating differences of opinion between staff - generally OK but you can have the odd one or two personalities that are very confrontational
-Slight feeling of unease when giving team members control of things I am opinionated about, especially if I am not convinced by their approach but want to give them autonomy rather than micro-managing.
-Balancing a wide variety of responsibilities and priorities that aren't directly comparable - e.g. recruitment vs developing existing team vs 3rd party vendor negotiations vs process improvement vs keeping up with industry best practice vs networking vs budgeting vs defining strategy vs stakeholder management vs planning etc etc
-Working under processes that aren't ideal and come under criticism from the team but are so widely used across the organisation that they cannot be easily changed - so I find myself playing devil's advocate a lot and having to defend them when I am not 100% bought into them myself
-Secret squirrel stuff where I am looped in to something but not permitted to disclose it to others
-Conversely, being in a position where I know less about something than my team and then get a question about it

Caporegime
I've moved form Lead Software developer to CEO of regional subsidiary. So far I have kept a bit of the technical side but will likely have to give that up.

I really like technical work, but in small doses. And you need to feel like the work you are doing makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom