LED head lamps

Soldato
I am looking to buy two or more led headlamps to help me survey unlit indoor areas like ceiling/attic spaces. I am a structural engineer. So far I've been using a torch or portable lamp which aren't as practical. Distance isn't as much of an issue as brightness and wideangle. Average use will be 2-3h, occasionally up to 6h, hence I am considering at least two

I can see many versions of headlamps like these: https://othemo.com/products/othemo-headband

Any particular better brands/models people have used or recommend?

Last edited:
I was given a no-name copy of the one you linked a year or so ago and couldn’t get on with it. The genuine one might be different.

The band gets warm after extended use - no pleasant on a hot day.

The band light was okay out to a couple of metres, but is a pretty diffuse light, so you need the spot beam to precise stuff and the spot beam on mine was rather too narrow for close work without sliding the band around to point where you’re looking.

As a varifocal glasses wearer, I had to move the band around to get the spot anywhere near where I wanted it and then move it back when I wanted to see something slightly further away which is a PITA.

The “no press” on/off feature on mine was useless as it was triggered by any solid object within 50cm and was useless when working underneath vehicles - mine would trigger walking through doorways and sometimes even when tilting my head fully over to the right to get a different viewing angle on something.

Best head torch I’ve tried to date is a Petzel Core, but you’ll need 2 core batteries or a pocket full of AAAs to get over 2 hours use on full intensity.

A touch on the expensive side but I swear by Olight personally, though not sure on the wide angle side of it.

I used a Blackdiamond head torch for running. It's very small and light and not expensive. Only slightly annoying thing with it is it's USB micro charging, it's an older model so might be USB-C now

You can get pretty cheap LED head torches from outdoor shops such as Decathlon. I'm not sure what benefit an expensive brand will bring to lighting up a relatively small area.

Fenix 65r-DT.

uses a 18650 battery so you can buy a few batteries and a single headlamp. 1 battery will last about 16 hours so probably don't even need a spare.

I have this one.
Its a bit insane.

It is quite heavy but it's extremely bright!

Probably over the top for you.

It has 2x of those big batteries. 18650 I think

I'll add that the main bulb you can change the focus of the beam from spot (ie a square) to wide spread by turning the lens.

Usbc charging too.

bwlZiUa.jpeg

Last edited:
I am looking to buy two or more led headlamps to help me survey unlit indoor areas like ceiling/attic spaces. I am a structural engineer. So far I've been using a torch or portable lamp which aren't as practical. Distance isn't as much of an issue as brightness and wideangle. Average use will be 2-3h, occasionally up to 6h, hence I am considering at least two

I can see many versions of headlamps like these: https://othemo.com/products/othemo-headband

Any particular better brands/models people have used or recommend?

I see the specs claim 350 Lumens. Would that be enough light?

Brightness: 350 Lumen (high)
Charging Time: 90 minutes
Battery Life: Up to 8 hours on the lowest brightness setting.

Charging times and life on the battery is decent.

I have a triple similar to the below link below, but has those larger AA type batteries that I bought in 2016 and it is still going strong. Mostly used for bunker explores and camping and hardly having to use all 3 bulbs.
There are many similar and if I had to buy again I would probably go for one with removeable and rechargeable batteries.

I see the specs claim 350 Lumens. Would that be enough light?

Brightness: 350 Lumen (high)
Charging Time: 90 minutes
Battery Life: Up to 8 hours on the lowest brightness setting.

Charging times and life on the battery is decent.

I have a triple similar to the below link below, but has those larger AA type batteries that I bought in 2016 and it is still going strong. Mostly used for bunker explores and camping and hardly having to use all 3 bulbs.
There are many similar and if I had to buy again I would probably go for one with removeable and rechargeable batteries.

Same as mine in a different skin.

Same as mine in a different skin.

Yes I did see your model when searching around for the one I bought that is now discontinued, they seem to be a generic make that is just shared out.

It did surprise me that I bought it - Ordered on 29 March 2016 and how the battery is still as good as day one, as well as the bulbs.

I got the ledlenser H19R signature, it has two bulbs for different beam patterns, so there is a lovely wide search light and stupidly bright focus light:

20240124_112133.jpg

Not cheap but it works brilliantly, it has a bluetooth belt/wrist control too which is handy when you are in a constrained location

Olight are pretty good for generally floodlighting an area. I use the Perun models quite a lot.
Fenix and Nitecore also have some good offerings, both in standard headlight form factor and standalone right-angle torches that come with headbands. The latter I find more useful as they have other features, like clips and magnetic bodies, that make them useful in other situations where a headstrap is not so useful.

LOL at the "super-bright" spec of only 350lm, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom