LED head lamps

get good brand the lumens claimed on the chinese lights are exaggerated massively.

I've got a 1600 lumen light on my MTB and it totally lights up a forest, also I can feel the heat of the light on my hand.

the chinese ones are probably about 35% the lumens they claim

Last edited:
If you want a well built long lasting head torch I'd get an Exposure one. I have one and use Exposure lights for all my bike lights and they are superb I've driven my car over one and it still works fine with only a few scratches on it.

get good brand the lumens claimed on the chinese lights are exaggerated massively.

I've got a 1600 lumen light on my MTB and it totally lights up a forest, also I can feel the heat of the light on my hand.

the chinese ones are probably about 35% the lumens they claim

I don't find that to be the case in general but the cheap ones all have many issues.
I have a couple of cheap chinese lamps from Amazon that claim like 2000 lumens and they are stupidly bright, far brighter than any of my expensive running headlamps.

However, the light quality is terrible with super bright spot in the middle, strong ringing, lack of ambient illumination, bad white balance (either far too blue or deep orange). Also, the brightness is very limited..None of the cheap ones have voltage regulators so after a few minutes they are much duller. And super bright LEDs drain the battery so the voltage drop is very quick, and moreover, thermoregulation sets in within a minute and the brightness can suddenly drop down. Even then they can get super hot and even melt some of the casing. They come with terrible batteries, even if the batter says something like 2200mah it is probably more.like 1600 at best so battery life is terrible. And the LED voltage converter are very inefficient so battery life is still poor even with a good battery. And they have minimal waterpoofing.

And in the end a super bright light is kind of useless unless you need a backup for a lighthouse. no need for more than 300-400 lumens even to see far away, and 100-200 is plenty to go running in the mountains at night or work indoors.

The cheap ones are so cheap they can work as an emergency, in the car or a backup camping, in case of powe cut at home or something. These days even the very good branded lamps are nit that expensive so for actual work or hobbies it is worth shelling out

Back
Top Bottom