LED to replace G9 bulb's

Permabanned
I am looking to replace my 10 x G9 40w bulbs in the main room with LED's but i don't know what bulbs i should be looking at to give out the same amount of light?

Wanting warm white LED's,
Any advice would be super.

I worked out on a normal night we have over 2000w of lights on in the house with only the main room's on.... that need's to be sorted ;)

Associate
There isn't a viable alternative that I've found yet. the 40w g9 is around 450lumens and you'll struggle to get beyond 200-250lumens with a branded LED replacement.

Saxby do a 3.3w one but I put 12 of them in the in laws and they didnt last very long. They now have Sylvania 3w ones in there but they are not very bright but do seem to be lasting.

Soldato
Saxby do a 3.3w one but I put 12 of them in the in laws and they didnt last very long. They now have Sylvania 3w ones in there but they are not very bright but do seem to be lasting.
I had the same problem with G4 LED's not lasting very long and costing around £5 each

Using some philips 2watt ones at the moment but there £5.50 each (Need 6 of them :( ).
If these Philips ones don't last then am going change my light fitting to something that takes a more normal type of bulb..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Change the whole light fitting for something with an integrated LED. Some form factors of lamps don't really lend themselves to LEDs (yet).

Permabanned
OP
Change the whole light fitting for something with an integrated LED. Some form factors of lamps don't really lend themselves to LEDs (yet).

the fitting are only 3 months old and cost £210 each, so al not be pulling them down just yet. the house is u under going a full remodel and we chose looks over energy saving, however now i am rethinking a little haha

Thanks Lumeycom for the rating of normal bulbs now i know what i need to aim for 450lumens.
I may try half and half LED and bulb

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even a Philips CorePro will only get you 200 lumens, and that's a fairly directional light as opposed to what you get out of the halogen versions.

Is dimming halogens an option? You can save a significant amount of power.

Permabanned
OP
I dont think your going to find them :(
The sylvania ones look awful too if they are on show in the fitting.

yes i think your right, i just found an 48 Led bulb that is only rated to 150

Even a Philips CorePro will only get you 200 lumens, and that's a fairly directional light as opposed to what you get out of the halogen versions.

Is dimming halogens an option? You can save a significant amount of power.

i did talk about this in the light shop when i went back to look at better bulbs, the tech told me you can dim halogen bulbs but there is test showing it will massively shorten the life span.
i was told it better to just by lesser watt bulbs.

25w is around 225 Lumen

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Found these the other day that look ok spec wise but look a little far eastern in construction. Might give them a punt.

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/g9-bulbs/4-watt-g9-led-bulb-30-watt-replacement.html

(mods I do hope that link is ok, cant see anything competitor like)

the problem her pal is if you look one post up i did mention that i had seen some 48LED 6W PC(type) bulbs that only put out 150Lum according the the manufactures spec. the bulbs you have linked are 232LED 4W PC(Type) so i cant see how they put out 270Lum

Last edited:
Associate
i have tried a few G9 led bulbs from different sources but none really are bright enough and have ended up taking them out within a few days.

Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
I've had (non G9) bulbs from here before that have been decent:
http://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-g9-500cp-5w-cob-led-capsule-bulb

i feel the 40w's that i have fitted are a little too bright so i have decided to buy a few and see how to look next to the normal g9 and if they are as good or even close to the clime of been a 40w replacement i will be happy and replace to lot.

Thank for the link

Just got this and it's not a yellow as I had hoped but I was say the claim of been a 310lm bulb is about right. It's not a 40w replacement but it looks close. I thought the 40w's I had was a little too bright so this will be about right for me.

Associate
We use these, absolutely fine in crystal chandelier and bunch of glasses hanging off of different length wires style light.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015...V-7W-9W-10W-12WSMD-2835-3014/32360659988.html
They are coated in clear silicone. 9W warm white is a little brighter than the 35W eco capsules that are supposed to be as bright as older 50w.
The only advice I would give is if you buy them in different batches, the colour hue can vary.

Soldato
We use these, absolutely fine in crystal chandelier and bunch of glasses hanging off of different length wires style light.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015...V-7W-9W-10W-12WSMD-2835-3014/32360659988.html
They are coated in clear silicone. 9W warm white is a little brighter than the 35W eco capsules that are supposed to be as bright as older 50w.
The only advice I would give is if you buy them in different batches, the colour hue can vary.

What's the light colour like?

I'm struggling to find a nice warm white in G9 and can't stand white / cool bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom