Legion 5 17ARH05H verses Asus TUF Dash FX517ZR 15.6 advice

Associate
Hi folks. Could anyone give me any advice on these 2 machines. I understand that the Asus runs Intel ddr5 ram and Legion AMD ddr4 ram. There are other subtle differences like screen size, Thunderbolt port hard drive size etc. I know these are mid range machines and not being a gaming expert I'd like some general advice on reliability. Build quality. Which is better and why. They are both priced similarly but I managed to get the Legion for 1k. I'm just not sure whether this was the best option for me. As in the Asus looks like newer generation hardware. I'm wanting to get into gaming so don't anticipate too much heavy use. I'm really interested to know the pros and cons of the audience. Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
As said in your very similar thread a few posts down. The Asus TUF uses a lower TDP 3070 but has a QHD screen. Build is no major difference.

The 12th Gen Intel is faster but in gaming GPU performance will still be the main determinant.

Reliability isn't really possible to tell you. The Legion 5 is solid. Haven't heard any major issues with the Asus.

Just keep the Legion and stop agonising. If you can't stop agonising swap to the 12th Gen Intel Legion 5i 15.6" that's on offer. That has Intel/Thunderbolt/QHD screen and a full power 3070.

Last edited:
Associate
I got an Asus TUF for my son because his laptop had died, he needed one and the TUF was available at a good price. I was actually impressed with the general quality of the laptop. It is an 11th gen 3060 model and when you stress the cpu the fans do come on but not as much as when you stress the gpu and then they really kick in. The fans are loud but not obnoxious with it being more of a low hum and not an annoying screech. He does not find the noise a problem and says it is quiet when doing general office style tasks. The performance is v good for gaming even with just a 4 core cpu paired with a 3060.

If the Legion laptop has all the features you need and works ok then I suggest you stop obsessing over your choice and just enjoy the hardware. There is no perfect laptop and you are always making a compromise in a certain area. You have the Legion to test and I would say the only possible reason you should send it back is if there is a total deal breaker such as you hating the keyboard or the screen has a flicker that induces a migraine. It is generally regarded as the best for the mid range gaming laptops and you have chosen a good cpu for it so just use it.

Associate
The TUF should be lower quality when compared to the Legion, in terms of series. The Asus G-series would be more comparable, especially in terms of features and cooling solution.

I think the TUF would be a downgrade. Intel CPU just uses more power and generates more heat; yes you might get a couple more FPS but it's not worth it. DDR5 has no real value over DDR 4.

Back
Top Bottom