Lenovo LOQ 15APH8 worst gaming laptop I've owned

Associate
So I recently bought a Gaming Laptop the LOQ 15APH8 for the price it seemed decent considering the specs at £999.
AMD Ryzen 7
RTX 4060
1TB SSD
16GB DDR5 5600
15.6" Screen
ect ect

Reviews on Youtube etc seem to go in it's favor as a decent budget gaming laptop.

So I bit the bullet & bought one & god what a disappointment this laptop is.

The screen is shocking it looks washed out & doesn't get very bright & response time is like from a LCD from the early to mid 2000's, I have an old MSI gaming laptop form about 7 years ago and the screen same size and res just looks many times better than this Lenovo one, tbh i should have checked the screen spec's before buying, but you think in 2024 or 2023 when i bought it it would come with a half decent display considering it's a gaming laptop.

Secondly there is an annoying crackling buzzing sound coming from the center of the keypad, this started to happen after i updated the bios to the latest one, I've gone back to an old bios to stop this annoying buzzing but the old bios seems pretty buggy with a black screen when booting from cold, even with fastboot turned off in Windows 11, this buzzing crackling seem to effect all AMD Lenovo gaming laptops & has been going on for months with Lenovo not interested in fixing it it seems.

The fans ramp up constantly for no reason and the Lenovo software fan curve gives no way of lowering the fan speed only to boost it.... terrible.

This laptop today is being packed up & returned luckily i'm still in my return window.

Does anybody have any recommendation for a decent gaming laptop for around £1200 that isn't from Lenovo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to say the Dell G15, but can't seem to spec the 2560x1440 display option (15.6" QHD (2560 x 1440) 240Hz, 2ms, 400Nits DCI-P3 99%, ComfortViewPlus, NVIDIA G-SYNC+DDS). This is what I have and it's great.

Soldato

GIGABYTE G6 16" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 4060, 1 TB SSD​

Intel® Core™ i7-13620H Processor
RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB
Full HD screen / 165 Hz
Battery life: Up to 4 hours
2 year guarantee

£999.00 Save £50.00

An example of one of the couple on the place you should also be able to get a sag aloo I saw

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I wouldn't write off Lenovo because of one bad laptop. Sounds like you just got a dud.

As you say it's important to check the screen specs not just the internals! Quite often to lower the price they'll be a range of screen options on the same laptop.

I know on my Gaming 3 you could get it with a horrible IPS 60Hz or 120Hz panel with 45% NTSC and relatively low brightness which look awful. Or a brilliant 165Hz 100% sRGB panel that's much brighter to boot and looks gorgeous.

I'm sure you can find something great for your budget!

Back
Top Bottom