LENOVO MAINBOARD HELP

Associate
Hi guys my lenovo desktop LN H50-55 A10 2T 12G W8.1 GB ] just stopped working its only 15months old sent it back to lenovo they told me
LV PC LABOR INCL LOGISTIC £34.56
LV PC MAINBOARD £126.89
LV PC HDD 54.55
LV PC VARIOUS SPARE PARTS6.83
FINAL AMOUNT 267.40
is there any way of fixing this cheaper any help would be great guys

Associate
It really depends whether you're up to fixing it yourself or have a friend who could help out. It's hard to say whether the prices for the parts are reasonable or not without knowing more detailed specs. Labour costs aren't bad if they're going to rebuild it onto a new mobo and reinstall Windows.

Bear in mind that you could buy a new desktop for what they're quoting for the repairs...

Soldato
How much did you pay for the PC originally? are they quoting you for a new HDD as well as a new mobo?

you maybe able to source the mobo cheaper if you can replace it.

Soldato
The chances the hdd is faulty as well as the mobo are 1000 to one.. They are ripping you off, what was the exact fault?

Soldato
That was my thought, though I've worked on enough HP/Lenvo machines over the years that it wouldn't be a huge surprise...

When it died, did anything happen? Loud pop, funny smell, magic smoke escaping?

A pop and smoke is most likley the power supply, never seen a psu blow and break other components (fixed a few 100 pc's)..

Associate
Pop and magic smoke has happened when frying a hard drive for me :/

I think it's the power supply as well - try getting a replacement PSU, and use it with the battery removed (if possible).

Associate
Ok - did you get any message at all when you pressed power again? If there was nothing whatsoever, did any of the lights come on?

I've just had a look at the manual (here) and I wouldn't waste time trying to fix it yourself. The motherboard looks like it uses custom power connectors, so you couldn't use an off the shelf replacement.

The motherboard seems to go for crazy prices on the bay, so your options are either to pay Lenovo to fix it (assuming they can guarantee that both the motherboard and the hard drive are faulty and no other parts are needed) or put the money towards a replacement (you can pick up an HP 280 G2 for not much more than they're quoting for the repair).

Soldato
its a shame its still £200, should be a case of bang in new mobo, power on... £70 part + 50 labour.... if its windows 10 its 99% sure just to book and work as well.... get a mobo try and fix yourself? if you were in Oxfordshire id say get the mobo and ill install for you if you come to me.

Soldato
You could rebuild yourself with all the parts they want to replace for less and upgrade to SSD at the same time, just an example (I think I got the right socket motherboard)
And if your current hdd is ok, you've got a handy second drive for storage.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £173.02
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Associate
If you can't build or maintain a computer yourself, you are reliant on companies to do it for you.

But they will charge for that service, as well as parts and labour.

Is a working computer worth amount of money to you?

Man of Honour
That's just shocking and nothing less than a rip off (£127 for a FM2+ motherboard :eek:). Then again it's to be expected from the likes of them. Bulk built pc's with a pathetic 1 year warranty should be avoided. A self built pc will give you much better value for money plus most components these days have a 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom