Lens hire

Soldato
I was just looking at them, deposit is high but they have to cover themselves.

Was looking at hiring a canon L 16-35 for my holiday.

I don't think they usually charge a deposit unless you look dodgy :)

From their FAQS:

Do you charge a deposit?
Generally no. We trust you to look after our gear. Please help us to maintain this policy by repaying our trust. If we can't satisfy ourselves that a customer is genuine, or if the transaction looks unusually risky for other reasons, then we may ask for a deposit. (That's why we ask so many questions.) There are a number of situations in which we will routinely ask for a deposit though:

• If you live outside the UK.
  • If you’re a foreign visitor to the UK.
  • If you want us to deliver a lens outside the UK.
  • If you want us to deliver the lens to an insecure location such as a hotel where you’re staying.

Soldato
I've never had to pay a deposit for LFH, only used them for really short hires. If I'm planning to use something for more than a week I found it easier to buy the lens second hand then sell on again... then forget to sell it on.

Soldato
I've never had to pay a deposit for LFH, only used them for really short hires. If I'm planning to use something for more than a week I found it easier to buy the lens second hand then sell on again... then forget to sell it on.
I was thinking this as well,the money you pay out for the hire can be used for a used lens,might have to sit down and have a think about the 16-35 as I'm 99% sure I want this lens.

Associate
Has anyone had any experience with Fat Llama? Looks interesting and is cheap, though there isn't much near me worth having. If I lived in London it would be a different story...

Dave

Soldato
Fat Llama is p2p so it's as good as the people you're borrowing from. I have been tempted to list some items but as I don't live in a large town/city it all looks a bit inconvenient trying to arrange meetups.

Caporegime
I looked at lens hire once and once only.
Also figured it was better to buy and sell on. (you might even gain)

Then, didn't sell on!

And

And

Associate
Never paid a deposit before at lensesforhire. Good quick service and lenses were perfect working order. Would use again. Seem to remember I got some criticism on here for hiring a lens.

Soldato
Never paid a deposit before at lensesforhire. Good quick service and lenses were perfect working order. Would use again. Seem to remember I got some criticism on here for hiring a lens.

Makes sense to hire for very occasional use or to try before spending a large amount on a new lens.

Back
Top Bottom