Lesser Known Comedy Thread

Associate
OP
This as well. Very very good. It's pretty much the British Curb You Enthusiam. Sean Lock is as good as Larry David. Similar to Ideal in terms of moments of surrealism and gritty realism. The episode with Felix Dexter as a Jehovah's witness and the final payoff of the JW thread at the end of that episode is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Also, have a look at Richard Herrings Leicester Square podcasts on Youtube. Some of these are pretty good if you like the guests.

Yeh I love podcasts and I dip into RHLSP depending on guests :)

Associate
Garth Marenghi's darklace was mental... I loved it!

Anything with Matt Berry for that matter makes me laugh - I love some of his nature narrations that he did on iPlayer.

Curb Your Enthusism is brilliant if you've not watched.

Associate
I've been going back to the 80s / 90s with Dear John (UK version naturally), Ever Decreasing Circles, Drop the Dead Donkey, The Fast Show and my favourite US sitcom Married with Children. Also been watching some episodes of Not The Nine O'Clock News and sad to see how so much of the satire is still relevant today.

Associate
OP
I've been going back to the 80s / 90s with Dear John (UK version naturally), Ever Decreasing Circles, Drop the Dead Donkey, The Fast Show and my favourite US sitcom Married with Children. Also been watching some episodes of Not The Nine O'Clock News and sad to see how so much of the satire is still relevant today.

Jeez that is practically my 80/90's watchlist as well!

Soldato
as the above have said these are not well known if you are young:
garth marenghi's darkplace
the day today
brass eye
flight of the conchords
nathan barley
the armando inannucci shows
black books (1st season only)

newer stuff includes:
community (seasons 1-3 are best, skip 4)
rick and morty (of course)

Soldato
I had no idea, until inspired by this thread to look, that channel 4's on demand service has decades of comedy shows available to watch.

It's got Garth Marenghi, Black Books, Brass Eye etc. Even the Adam and Joe Show.

Watched the first episode of Chewing Gum. Was actually great.

Associate
OP
as the above have said these are not well known if you are young:
garth marenghi's darkplace
the day today
brass eye
flight of the conchords
nathan barley
the armando inannucci shows
black books (1st season only)

newer stuff includes:
community (seasons 1-3 are best, skip 4)
rick and morty (of course)

That is a strong list right there.

Soldato
Life in Pieces. It's an Amazon series but doesn't seem to get mentioned anywhere. From watching the trailer I was expecting something similar-ish to Modern Family. However Life in Pieces is far funnier with some moments having me in tears.

Better of Ted - An old series and unfortunately only made it to 2 seasons before getting cancelled but a very good show IMO.

Associate
Great thread OP.

Operation Good Guys.Think "The Office" but with police.Don't know why it's never repeated i think it's hilarious.Doing what Gervais did with the office but 6 years earlier.

Caporegime
A Very Secret Service, on Netflix, a spy but not at all serious spy thing. It's in French so has subtitles but is surprisingly good, it's kind of a pee take of spy services and the French attitude along with it.

Back
Top Bottom