Lesson of the day! dont use the same password for more than one site

Associate
So This has been in interesting weekend, my password seems to have been hacked from an old webhost, thanks 000webhost. :mad:

This has led to someone trying to gain access to every site which uses this password, it was a complex password which I have used on probably hundreds of sites.

So he has so far tried to log into logmein, amazon, uplay and rockstar games.

He gained access to my rockstar account, associated it to a fake google plus account and had raised a support ticket with rockstar to change the email account to his new email address, now surprisingly they seem to actually be proceeding with the change of email address, with no proof of purchase of the games. They did not even ask for which games I have, only for serial which he said he cannot find due to loosing access to his old email. He did post a photo of a the game box with his monitor behine showing he was logged into rockstar.
I have emailed rockstar 3 times today and updated the ticket, but cannot find a telephone number to call them. they fail to respond to my emails but do to his. Idiots

This has surprised me how easy it is to change email addresses, if this had happened over the weekend I would have lost the account and all the games.

I started using LastPass a couple of months ago but due to the sheer number of sites, I had not changed all the passwords over :( but have spent most of today doing this and adding two factor authentication where it is offered.

Another worrying aspect is that the majority of sites do not allow complex password, ie symbols? how stupid is this even for on-line banking, surly this is where you want to have the ability for maximum strength passwords.

Associate
Damn, thats' extremely bad luck. Also bad service on Rockstars part to be so willing to change emails just after a password change and associating to a new G+ account. :(

I too am also surprised at the amount of places that wont accept passwords with complex characters. You would think banks and other similar places would be wanting users to create the most secure passwords possible (After all it saves hassle for them incase they become compromised)

Back
Top Bottom